Vista Defragmnentation

ol blueeyes 12:42 17 Oct 08

Have just installed Vista after using XP . In Xp I could see how badly my Disc was Fragmented and could decide whether or not I wished to Defragment at the time or not. But in Vista I am just told that it might take minutes or Hours. Or is there somewhere I can see the state of the Disc ?

mooly 12:53 17 Oct 08

I don't like Vistas defragmenter that runs by default daily. It causes incremental backups to be huge !!
I would turn it off so it does not run automatically, and when you want to defrag or see how things are doing (say every month or so ) use Vistas own derfragger from a command prompt. This will give you a detailed verbose readout of whats what.
To do this click the start orb and right click on "command prompt". Select run as administrator. type exactly, defrag c: -a-v and that will take a couple of minutes to generate a report. Type defrag c: -v-w to defragment all file sizes on the c volume.

sunny staines 13:26 17 Oct 08

I use click here on my vista.

peter99co 16:09 17 Oct 08

If you set it to run to a scheduled time and leave it to run at that time daily. It will eventually run for a very short time. If you run anything the defrag waits until you stop and then continues. The idea is that after a while the drive will clear most of the time.

mazuk 14:25 18 Feb 09

The best defrag tool i have found to date is Auslogics disk defragmenter which has a free version and works well with vista...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…