Vista connection drops if left idle for 20+ seconds, XP laptop connections fine

Floopp 20:44 PM 14 Nov 11

This started happening after receiving a new Modem from Talktalk.

I have 2 laptops with XP and 1 laptop with Vista connected to the same modem. The 2 XP laptop's connections are fine but the one with Vista cannot stay connected if left alone for a short period of time, it turns into Local Only and stops loading web pages until you try surfing the internet again. Any form of keeping the connection downloading something i.e. downloading content from web pages, playing an online game or downloading a file will keep the Vista connection connected until the download stops.

I have unchecked the power saving option in my Network Adapter in Device Manager, that is not an issue.

Also the internet on my iPhone is the same as the Vista connection. It plays up as well.

Thanks for any help.

difarn 12:05 PM 12 Dec 11

If you haven't already solved your Vista problem - you could have a look at this. Am assuming you are talking about wireless connection.

Check that your Vista machine has the same security settings as your router - the IP addresses need to be the same.

Check to see if your wireless network adapter needs updating - go to device manager to do this

Check the TCP/IP protocol settings - look at this article

If IPv6 is checked uncheck it leaving just IPv4 checked.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know