Vista Closing Folders

ArrGee 11:25 02 Jul 07

I have Vista Ultimate. On the desktop there is a folder entitled My Documents. I can open this folder fine.

Within this folder is another called 'Downloads'. As soon as I open it, it closes itself, everything from the desktop disappears (except for the background) and then reappears after a couple of seconds.

Any ideas?

anskyber 12:36 02 Jul 07

When you say it reappears, do you mean the folder "downloads" is then open or is the original desktop there?

ArrGee 12:38 02 Jul 07

The folder closes itself and does not reappear, just the desktop and desktop icons come back and taskbar, no open folders.

anskyber 12:51 02 Jul 07

Hmm... Well it could be an ineffective short cut to your downloads file. You could try creating a new shortcut ( assuming you want one that is) and see if that works. The failed one could then be deleted.

I am sure you already know that Vista creates a default file for downloads and it does so as part of the security arrangements. I have over ridden mine, however unwise it may be, and I send downloads direct to a different file in documents.

ArrGee 13:30 02 Jul 07

Cheers anskyber, I did that yesterday and the new shortcut works fine, but is what I described normal Vista behaviour on a 'dud' shortcut?

anskyber 13:32 02 Jul 07

To be honest I don't now! I have not experienced such behaviour myself.

crosstrainer 17:20 02 Jul 07

I adopted anskyber's method and now download to a folder of my choice, just tried to download to the default location out of curiosity and it worked fine...no problems opening it, but still use my own custom locations....Vista aint' gonna tell me where to put things!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5