Vista Belkin N1 slowness

non1 13:00 12 Apr 08

Hi got a new Vista PC a few months back and had all kinds of problems finding a compatible driver for my Belikin n1 wireless card (PN f5d8001v2000uk).
As if by magic one day Vista update downloaded a driver for the Marvell chipsed in the PCI card and it started working, brill!
Problem is, even though its working and Task Manager says im gettin 200mbps the actual download speed is painfully slow, Im lucky to be getting 64kbps.
I checked the broadband line speed and its fine with an XP laptop.
I have noticed however that when I ping the router from the Vista PC the average round trip time is 300 milli-seconds... if I ping from the XP laptop in the same location the roundtrip time is 4 milli-seconds.
Anyone have a clue what I can do to improve this, its not a signal strength problem as far as I can see.

mrwoowoo 17:06 12 Apr 08

Not sure if this may help.
Thanks to Jim_F for this ,which was a reply to another thread.
If you try this,i would create a restore point first.
Also you should double check your router settings against your ISP settings first.

All this automatic tuning of the Vista network stack sounds great in theory, but the problem is that some clients don’t support TCP window scaling, or do but don’t have it enabled. Additionally, some firewall products also don’t support it. In either scenario, the result is dropped packets which affects network performance horrendously -- your traffic is literally dropping into a black hole, never to be seen again.

So if you’re experiencing excessive network lags on your Vista machine, especially compared to non-Vista machines, it might be worthwhile disabling auto-tuning. Do this by opening up an administrative Command Window (right-click, Run as administrator), and type in the following command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

You may also need to type in:

netsh interface tcp set global rss=disabled

The changes take effect straight away, with no reboot needed. Bear in mind that this is a global change, so it may really be worth your while to sit down and nut through your network's QoS settings to get things running happily without disabling auto-tuning.

non1 18:05 12 Apr 08

thanks mrwoowoo but unfortunately that made no difference at all.
im no expert but i have a feeling its a driver issue with the card.

anskyber 18:16 12 Apr 08

There are only beta drivers for this card click here are these the ones you have installed?

non1 17:05 17 Apr 08

thanks anskyber.
I did try to get my card working many times in March with the beta drivers but they just refused to make the card work, however it appears there has been an update as of 10th April.
Will try using these and report back. The driver I have operating at the moment was provided by Vista update.

non1 18:59 21 Apr 08

Unfortunately the Belkin drivers prevented the card working all together. So have rolled back to the previous set and now have regained slow access.
I think the reason for the problem with the Belkin drivers that anskyber directed me to is that they are for the cards in the USA, at least they are shown on belkin.com
belkin.com/uk shows no drivers for Vista, at least none I can see...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac