USB flash drive access denied error

beeuuem~2 23:43 27 Apr 16
Answered

I'm in the process of building a new system for my sister who lives a hundred miles away. To transfer all her saved documents, pictures, etc I wanted to put them on a USB flash drive which she could send to me.

When plugging in any new USB drive it is recognised as a mass storage device but the driver installation fails with an 'Access denied' message. A previously used flash drive with files on it is recognised and can be read. Unfortunately, it isn't big enough to save all the required files.

I've checked the permissions in the registry, using Remote Access', which all seem to be in order, i.e. the same as my old XP system which is almost identical and has the same motherboard and which has no problem with any USB drives.

Any suggestions, other than re-installing XP, most welcome !

BRYNIT 00:15 28 Apr 16

What format did you use on the USB flash drive?

Why not go to the MSN web site CLICK HERE create/open a Microsoft account and upload all files to Onedrive you can then download them to the new computer.

Simora 01:48 28 Apr 16

You may need an ExFat driver. Does anyone know where to get one. Microsoft has deliberately removed it from their site for Win XP & Vista. See click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:27 28 Apr 16

what op system on the new build?

beeuuem~2 11:56 28 Apr 16

To clarify - new unused USB drives are not recognised on the 'old' system, XP SP3 on an MS-7094 M/B. A previously used USB drive with files on it is recognised.

As the new unused USB drives don't install drivers - the access denied' message - it is not possible to format them. I suppose it would be possible to use Onedrive although I shudder to think of the upload - and download time - for 30Gb!

StephenCrossland 12:27 28 Apr 16

Looking into this further I came across; click here

Which might be of some help... Good luck, s.

beeuuem~2 13:18 28 Apr 16

StephenCrossland Thanks for that. Further tests have shown that a 16Gb drive that I sent with video on it is not recognised either. It seems as if any new drive, i.e. one not previously used on that PC, is not recognised. This suggests some registry /security setting. As sister rarely uses flash drives, but obviously has in the past as there is a drive with files from her PC, when or how this occurred who knows !!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:07 28 Apr 16

A few things to try -

first driver conflict, happens a lot with USB flash and external drives that are plugged in and out

Refresh USB Ports Use Drive clean up to remove USB device drive info from the registry click here device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB, reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware. Your equipment should now be recognised.

or Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Malfunctioning USB drives / keys a) Press Windows Key + R and type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box to open Device Manager. b) When the Device Manager window opens, you need to find the USB device which is giving trouble. It may be listed under Human Interface Devices as USB Input Device. If not there, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers. Find the one in the list for your drive, right click over this entry, pick Properties. c) In the device properties window, change to Details tab. Click the menu for Properties and select Device Instance Path. Note down the corresponding Value it is a combination of three IDs - namely Vendor ID (VID), Product ID (PID) and Instance ID. d) Press Windows Key + R combination, type regedit in Run dialog box and press Enter Registry Editor opens. e) Navigate here: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB(Device Instance Path)\Device Parameters Substitute the Device Instance Path part (after USB) with the number obtained from the step c. f) In the right pane of Device Parameters key look for the DWORD named EnhancedPowerManagementEnabled which must be showing its Value data as 1. Double click on the same to get this: g) In the above shown box, change the Value data to 0. Click OK. Close the Registry Editor and Device Manager.

h) Reboot the PC and retry.

USB Permissions Start - Run and type
regedit Press OK. Navigate to: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB. Right click on the folder and pick permissions. Set to ALLOW. Do the same for: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR or In

beeuuem~2 15:23 28 Apr 16

Fruit Bat /\0/\, Very comprehensive, thank you.

I'm working my way through this - the problem being it is very slow as I'm doing this by remote access and need to be manually reconnected after rebooting. I’ll let you know how it goes.

beeuuem~2 23:36 28 Apr 16

I've run the drivecleanup and removed all the unused USB devices. All the permissions are set to give full control to the only user, who is an administrator. Plugging in any USB drive the new hardware wizard runs and attempts to install the driver but still fails and gives the 'access is denied' message. This is the also case with the drive that was previously recognised !

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:42 30 Apr 16

Satrt run type

sfc /scannow

let windows find and replace missing or corruppt windows files.

on completion retry to install the USb drives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

What’s happening in VR right now: From psychedelic art to combat therapy

Siri not working? Try these troubleshooting fixes