URL Drag'n'drop worked in XP, not in Vista

brundle 22:13 10 Dec 08

Does anyone else employ the "click and drag URL from Address Bar to window" method to save shortcuts in a specific folder (on a flash drive for example) from Firefox? XP does it no problem, Vista just won't....tried IE too.
The only solution is the "Create Shortcut" option in IE or the similarly named Extension for FF which creates them on your desktop for moving manually.
Is there a better way?

brundle 22:20 10 Dec 08

Correction..it works with the actual desktop or Windows Explorer windows, but I rarely use Explorer...
So perhaps my question is why won't it work when I drag links into an open FreeCommander pane?

skidzy 16:01 12 Dec 08

Hi Brundle

Interesting thread;

Ive tried what you ask and yes your correct (if ive understood correctly.

However,for example,i have done this if any help;

On a flash drive,create a new folder named links.
As the url will not copy and paste or drag and drop, (using Firefox) i simply right clicked ,lets say the helproom tag and dragged this across to the folder on the flashdrive,though this only creates the Helproom tag and internet shortcut.
The actual address can be accessed from the properties of the link.

Im sure you have probably tried this.Ive not tried this in IE yet.

Hope ive understood correctly :-)

skidzy 16:28 12 Dec 08

Ive had a play with FC and cannot find a way of saving the url's,maybe im missing something.Got to go out now but will pop in later.

DippyGirl 18:52 12 Dec 08

I can left click the little box next to the address box and drag that to a folder - it creates a shortcut

DippyGirl 18:53 12 Dec 08

Should have said thats in FF dont know about IE

brundle 14:01 14 Dec 08

Hi skidzy - thanks for checking it out - just one of those things I took for granted on XP. I'm going to have to stick to dragging shortcuts into Explorer windows.
DippyGirl; That's the method I'm using too, the problem seems to be with FreeCommander.

I've donated to the FreeCommander cause so I'll go and complain on that forum too...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…