URGENT! System Recovery Limbo - Vista

joki2400 02:59 30 Jan 15
Answered

During the computer turning on, I picked up the keyboard and accidentally pressed a key that apparently starts system recovery.

The system recovery hasn't yet started but it refuses to allow me to cancel.

Picture related click here stuck on that screen.

If I press next, all my files are deleted. If I press cancel, it asks "cancel and reboot?" and when I click yes on that, the reboot takes me right back into this screen.

I'm unsure of how long I can keep the computer turned on, and on this screen, so this is somewhat urgent.

PLEASE HELP!

I'm

daxian 10:35 30 Jan 15

i agree ...switch off pc !!

joki2400 10:49 30 Jan 15

Switched it off once, but when I turn it back on it just brings me to thst same screen.

rdave13 11:07 30 Jan 15
Answer

Try tapping F8 on boot up to get to the Advanced Boot Options and try Last Known Good Configuration. If that fails try Repair your Computer. If that fails then try Start windows normally.

joki2400 16:30 30 Jan 15

OK clicking F8 brings me to a boot menu that looks like this: click here is only one option "Windows Setup" and it auto-activates after 15 seconds.

Then I see this screen, which I've seen with my last attempt to restart: click here finally the blue screen with the option to go next or cancel.

There And

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:42 30 Jan 15

select UK keyboard and press Next

this will take you to the recovery screen

from there you can cancel or do a strt up repair which will not harm your files.

joki2400 18:27 30 Jan 15

What I get is a window saying

System Recovery Options

Windows found problems with your computer's startup options. Do you want to apply repairs and restart your computer?

[Repair and restart] [No]

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:56 30 Jan 15

Yes

joki2400 21:29 31 Jan 15

Choosing yes on repair worked, and because REPAIR is not destructive like RECOVERY is, it ended up saving all my files.

Thanks be to Fruit bat, may he be blessed with the most delicious fruit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017