Upgrading to windows 8.1 from Vista Home Premium

Hercules02 13:45 17 Dec 14

Its probably me, but I can't seem to find any search box to look for an article about this. Im aware that its a bit involved, so I was looking for a step by step guide to ensure that I dont lose data and programs that I want to keep.

Ive already checked that my system spec can support Windows 8.1.

If aqnyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

Thanks

northumbria61 13:55 17 Dec 14

What you need to know - Upgrade from Vista to Windows 8.1

northumbria61 14:37 17 Dec 14

Jock1e - It needs to be a clean install which means he won't be able to take programs and settings with him. Any files needed will have to be backed up to a separate hard drive or USB stick. It's all in the link so he shouldn't have any problems.

mole1944 18:31 17 Dec 14

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

mole1944 18:31 17 Dec 14

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

northumbria61 22:02 17 Dec 14

Jock1e - I agree with your comments but he is planning to upgrade from Vista!

Win7 probably does ask and I know for some people it works but I have always recommended a fresh clean install, making sure of course you have backed up your data and have discs to hand to reinstall programs.

Mole1944 - It's called progress.

mole1944 05:35 18 Dec 14

I know it's progress but if all your stuff works ok then leave well enough alone.I leave with this thought when company's upgrade their system all hell can break loose,look what happened when MFI did it they are no more.My son works for a very large global motor company on software upgrade rollouts,they only do only what is necessary on upgrading,his philosophy if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Hercules02 22:02 18 Dec 14

Northumbria61 Thanks for your advice, I will heed it. When I saw the advice about files on Vista, I thought it meant that they couldn't be used at all. Personally I have never managed to upgrade Windows from an earlier version with an acceptable outcome, so Im not sure why they mention the problem in relation to Vista only.

Mole1944 I am having problems with Windows Update and Microsoft wanted to rebuild my (Vista) OS to fix (after trying everything else first)

Jock1E You can be unlucky when updating systems, and with corporate ones the best laid plans can fail if just one person takes a wrong step, or management exercises pressure to speed things up. As an individual, if you take good advice and follow it carefully things will work out OK.

Thanks to you all for your help.

mole1944 06:13 19 Dec 14

Your most welcome and have a happy christmas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos