Upgrading from Win 7 to Win 8.1

Gordon Freeman 12:43 17 Aug 14
Answered

My PC recently died (mobo needed replacing which also meant I had to have a new processor). Replacement mobo like for like not possible owing to things having moved on and old processor would not fit new mobo.

New SSD will be fitted for OS, Win 7 Pro, which was the original OS installed pre-mobo replacement.

Questions is in relation to upgrading to Win 8.1 from Win 7 Pro.

Can you just download (legally of course) or buy discs, and install Win 8.1 over Win 7 if you use the MS Installer & upgrade approach?

Or do you need to completely uninstall Win 7 then start from scratch?

I'd prefer the former if possible as it might be a right pain copying all files/programs which I want to keep, then re-installing them after the upgrade.

I know there'll be a few nay-sayers re; Win 8.1 but I have this on other machines and I really like it. I've set it up more or less as Win 7 anyway, boot straight to desktop, Win 7 start menu (courtesy of Classic Shell), and don't use the silly metro tiles.

Grateful for any advice on the upgrade, thanks.

Gordon Freeman 13:33 17 Aug 14
Answer

Just done some googling in the meantime, & seems best (& cheaper) way is to upgrade initially to Win 8, then upgrade that to 8.1.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:51 17 Aug 14

Yes that works great however you cant upgrade from XP like that unfortunately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…