Upgrading to 64bit from 32bit

LucasJJones 22:07 03 May 15

I'm trying to change from my initial 32bit to 64 bit but whenever I try to use the disk an error message pops up saying that The installation disk isn't compatible with my version of windows. How can I fix this to get the disk working?

wee eddie 22:59 03 May 15

Which version of Windows are you trying to change? Have you made a copy of all your files? Have you got the Registration Numbers of all the programs you have downloaded?

If not, maybe it was lucky that it wouldn't go ahead

lotvic 23:03 03 May 15

You cannot upgrade to 64bit from 32bit

I presume you have a retail copy of Windows and both the 32 and 64 bit DVDs. If you haven't please say what media you have to do the installation so relevant advice can be given.

You have to do a fresh clean install, so boot into the DVD and do a fresh install. You will need the Windows product key etc.

First I advise you copy/save to an external harddrive or usb flash drive, any data/documents to you want to keep. Also take a note of any serial product keys of programs that you will be re-installing.

rdave13 23:06 03 May 15

I'm assuming you know your system is 64-bit compatible? Check in control panel - system. Should show if the CPU is x64 and not x86 which is a 32-bit based CPU.

Batch 18:04 04 May 15

You either install 32 bit OS from scratch or you install 64 bit OS from scratch (and also install all of the application software from scratch). You cannot simply move between the two. There are a number of key reasons for this. Plus, as rdave13 has said, the system needs to be 64 bit compatible.

In any event, firstly and foremost, the driver software that is installed (to interact with all the hadrware elements) MUST be the same as the OS (i.e. a 32 bit OS requires 32 bit drivers and a 64 bit OS requires 64 bit drivers).

A 32 bit OS will not support the running of 64 bit applications (whereas a 64 bit OS can run of most 32 bit applications).

Now, I believe it is the case that you can install either 32 bit or 64 bit (of the same edition AND version of Windows) using the same product key (regardless of whether it is a retail or an OEM version). So if you have Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit OEM, you should be able to install Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM using the same product key.

If you must switch (and you should seriously ask yourself why you really want to do this), make sure that you absolutely back-up (ideally at least twice) everything you want to keep BEFORE you do anything else.

Make sure that you have 64 bit drivers for everything before you start. No 64 bit drivers = no go.

In any event, before going any further I suggest you post back here as to what your existing system is (hardware, OS and main applications / usage) and what you hope to achieve before wasting your time as well as causing an awful lot of heartache.

lotvic 20:16 04 May 15

Good point Batch. I changed my (retail W7) 64bit to 32bit as I got nothing but problems with drivers etc. and also when I realised that my mobo could only handle 4GB ram max. For me there was no benefit to have W7 64bit op sys.

Batch 22:47 04 May 15

As far as I'm concerned the only real plus of 64 bit is the ability to access more than 4GB of RAM. Security is a shade better. Other than that unless you need to run some software that is only available as 64 bit there's no real advantage.

I use 32 bit and the RAM limit isn't really an issue for me. Plus I can still use various old bits of hardware for which only 32 bit drivers are available.

nimnimgilbert 12:57 06 May 15

If you are facing this problem every time and error message pops up saying that The installation disk isn't compatible with your version of windows , then its important for you to verify the following tings in the first place.Read further to know all..

Before a computer can be upgraded to a 64-bit OS, you must make sure the processor is a 64-bit processor and not a 32-bit processor. Intel and AMD both make processors that are 64-bit. Typically these processors are either dual core or quad core, allowing for pretty powerful computing capabilities.

If your processor is not a dual or quad core processor and you are not sure if it is 64-bit, the best method of determining if your processor is a 64-bit processor is to look up the tech specifications for your processor.

Tip: To see which process your computer has in it, you can access the System Information page by going to the Start Menu and type System Information in the Search field. Open the System Information program that appears in the search results. The processor information is displayed in the System Summary section.

If your processor is a 32-bit processor, you'll need to upgrade to a 64-bit CPU, and possibly upgrade to a 64-bit compatible motherboard and RAM for the new motherboard, before you'll be able to get a 64-bit operating system installed. For most users, it would make more sense to get a new computer instead of upgrading all of these components and purchasing a new operating system.

You can refer to following sources for learning all about how to upgrade from a 32bit to 64bit -click here

-http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001401.htm -http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/325611-upgrade-windows-7-32-bit-64bit-without-format.html

lotvic 13:53 06 May 15

nimnimgilbert, if you insist on copy and pasting large chunks from other websites... at least use quotation marks and credit the source.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple