Upgrade of old Graphics Card for Windows 10

Charliebrown05 15:54 05 Aug 15

I have a problem with installing Windows 10. I like many others reserved my copy of Windows 10 by the Windows 10 App. After a check of my rather old system Windows came back to say everything was in order and ready to go once Windows 10 was to be released. No...........on the 29th July I got word via the App that my Graphics Card a NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 was not compatible with Windows 10 and that I speak to Nvidia.......or get a new PC. No I don't want a new PC.....i have a 2014 iMac and I don't want to spend much more money to upgrade. So can anyone here suggest an upgraded Graphics Card that would be compatible with Windows 10 (and doesn't cost the earth) I don't do any gaming or video editing just surf the Net, watch YouTube Videos and listen to Music through my Bose Speakers....oh and sometimes watch a few Movies

Here is my old PC:-

It is an Acer Aspire T180 running 2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 256 kilobyte primary memory cache 1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache 64-bit ready Multi-core (2 total) with a recently installed Samsung SSD 850 EVO SCSI Disk Device (120.03 GB) and a secondary internal Western Digitial 50 HHD Disk Device (500.11 GB) It is running Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601) and it connects to the internet via a Edimax AC1200 Wireless LAN USB Adapter.

Can you suggest an upgrade for the existing NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 graphics card that would be compatible with Windows 10 (and wouldn't break the bank)?

Govan1x 16:17 05 Aug 15

Read bottom post. Just carry on with the download.

Click here

Charliebrown05 17:56 05 Aug 15

Govanix are you same person that wrote on the Geforce Forum site known as Testing 1010? And if not have you tried this and had no problems? In the event of this not working can someone else suggest an upgrade of the existing NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 graphics card?

Govan1x 18:24 05 Aug 15

So far some that have had the same problem as you have downloaded W10 and ignored the warning and they all seemed to have installed properly.

I can understand that you may well be worried in doing that but why buy a new graphics card if you do not really need to do that.

Hang about till you get more comments and if you still feel better getting a new card so be it.

[Govanix are you same person that wrote on the Geforce Forum site known as Testing 1010?]

The answer to that is no and we assume the chap has already installed W10 using the same graphics card as yourself.

DavidRoberts 18:52 05 Aug 15

I have the same Acer pc and also cannot see the point in throwing it away just yet would like a recommendation of a video card that will work with windows 10

Charliebrown05 00:45 06 Aug 15

Govanix thanks for your answer and yes you are right why buy a new Graphics Card if you don't need one but I just want to have that option. I don't know enough about Graphic Cards to pick the right one and I just need someone to give the correct advice on which one to upgrade to. Also I see someone is also asking the same one in the shape of David Roberts. So can anyone out there help with some recommendations on Graphic Cards that would fit my PC.

Thanks again

Harry

DavidRoberts 12:46 08 Aug 15

I decided to go ahead and install windows 10 and it does work you just have to go to the nvidia site and install the graphics driver. The windows 7/8 309.08 version works fine.

corseford 10:06 18 Aug 15

Govan1X.....How do you ignore the Windows 10 warning....mine says "cannot install windows 10 - graphics card incompatible"...how do I get round this?

abarrantes 00:15 21 Sep 15

Take a look at this link: click here It solved my problem!! :)

wee eddie 03:07 21 Sep 15

Need DivX 9 or above. Should be able to pick up one for about £30.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017