Upgrade installation problem

betaman 11:37 19 Apr 07

I've now tried three times unsuccesfully to upgrade my HP Pavilion 7635 fro XP media centre to vista, using the free(?) upgrade discs supplied. Each time during the "gathering files" process, the installation stops with the message:

"windows cannot access the required file E:\Sources\Boot.wim. Please make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code 0x80070020"

As drive E is the DVD drive itself how do I make sure all files are available, surely this is the installation disk?

anskyber 11:46 19 Apr 07

Just a thought. That error code is commonly used for Windows update errors.

Is it possible that you need to make sure your XP is fully up to date first?

I found that I needed some of the "custom" updates as well as the essential updates. I recall one specifically for the media center edition.

betaman 12:12 19 Apr 07

Thanks for the suggestion anskyber; I've just rechecked for updates but no further ones available.

Kate B 12:16 19 Apr 07

I'd suggest doing a clean install if at all possible: my machine just wouldn't upgrade (and still won't - I tried to do that as a repair recently after some software caused havoc) buta clean install sails through.

betaman 21:26 19 Apr 07

Thanks for the suggestion Kate B but, I'm really hoping to avoid a clean install with all the re-installing of programmes that will involve. perhaps I'll have to reconsider whether it's worth the change of OS.

Kate B 11:17 21 Apr 07

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that, too, but in the end I had no choice and actually on balance, despite the hassle, you are better off with a clean install. It cleans out the rubbish.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…