Update from W7 to w10 - users

john bunyan 09:33 26 Aug 15
Answered

If one updates a partitioned laptop from W7 to W10, does it preserve the partitions and user profiles? I keep all user data away from the C partition, on, in my case, an F partition, so that all my music, etc is on that one, including Outlook, Word, Photos, downloads, for two user profiles.

john bunyan 09:35 26 Aug 15

PS do I need to ensure before updating, there is 30 gig or more of "spare" space on C for windows.old?

aitch2 09:49 26 Aug 15

I have just done the same with my laptop. I created a 30G partition for win 10. I now have the option of the Win7/ Win10 dual boot. My profiles have been kept in both but I updated for win10. However, you will need to ensure that you enable sharing (I had to have some help with this)so that both OS's can use your files etc. I did install my MS Office2013 on Win10. So far, so good. hope this helps. Aitch

Govan1x 10:36 26 Aug 15

I just removed Windows old from my Desktop and it removed 37-39 Gb from my hard drive. it was one of the two.

Thought that I would mention it just in case it makes a difference.

Also will point out that I did go back to W8 so that I could get rid of Edge then upgraded again so maybe that's why I had so much in Windows Old.

john bunyan 17:02 26 Aug 15

Thanks for the replies. I think I will make an ATI image of my C: Partition with updated Windows 7 prior to updating, so if I delete Windows.old, I could go back, presumably, using the image.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:24 26 Aug 15

I did the same - made images of my ssd and HDD before upgrading.

the upgrade only affects the windows partition and yes you do need to ensure plenty of space available for windows old and temporary files.

after it updates to 10, it will download more updates over the next few days that will probably fix any glitches like loss of sound or in my case keyboard hot keys not working.

john bunyan 17:46 26 Aug 15

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks; I only have 47 Gig "spare" on C: drive; hope that is OK. Am proceeding to update, scan for viruses etc, and defrag prior to making an image of C drive and a Freefilesynch copy of the F (data) drive,

john bunyan 17:48 26 Aug 15

proceeding to update - I mean update W7, prior to W 10 update.

john bunyan 10:48 27 Aug 15

Did all the preparations last night on laptop. Started th W10 update; A circle of white dots is in the new window saying "Working on it" - how long does this phase take? Can I just leave it and go out?

john bunyan 11:27 27 Aug 15

Still showing "working on it " after 45 mins - is it actually doing anything?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:57 27 Aug 15

Took a couple of hours in total for me :0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…