unwanted audio interference through modem

sportagegirl 12:27 PM 06 Feb 13

When I am using my laptop recently even if I am not actually using Google and just playing a game,I am picking up advertising or the news coming through my speakers.I have to turn the modem off to stop it happening.This can occur up to 10 times a day and is really annoying.I have never had this problem before and I would like to know what I can do to stop it.During the time I am writing this post I have had to turn the sound off my laptop because I am getting an advert come through for shampoo!!! Please help restore my sanity.

caccy 14:25 PM 06 Feb 13

Does it happen with the modem disconnected from the telephone line?

jamieamunra 17:01 PM 06 Feb 13

Do you get the Adverts only when you have a web page open or all the time?

wiz-king 17:34 PM 06 Feb 13

I presume by modem you mean a broadband router. A change of channel may help if one of your neighbours is using a wireless sound system or run the modem lead through a ferrite ring a couple of times.

sportagegirl 17:53 PM 06 Feb 13

Even when I have no web page open,as long as the router is on I get ads for Sky News or any old shite to be frank! Like I said as long as modem is on I keep getting background jargon.On silent speakers now as I am getting advert for BBC! AAAAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday weekend deals & best UK Cyber Monday…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The best Black Friday Deals for designers and artists – updated

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know