Uninstalling Windows 8, installing windows 7 instead

2mother2 13:54 08 Mar 14

I have purchased a version of Windows 7 to get my computer with windows 8 (which I can't stand)home version back to an operating system I like. I have been able to do everything up to the point where the software is booting and installing from disk, but there are NO RECOGNIZED HARD DRIVES, like a c: drive to install it to. I have done much searching, and Sony does not have a driver for my motherboard (which will get me what i want)and that means I will not be able to get my windows 7 installed. How frustrating, to get all this info, purchase the win7, and get past many, many frustrating roadblocks and learn SOOO much along the way, only to have this stop me!

I would love feedback on how to get past this. Is there any way to get a driver for the Sony VAIO T series Ultrabook "SVT131A11L" ? I am pretty good at this sort of thing, but haven't found the solution yet! Thanks.

rdave13 16:57 08 Mar 14

As long as you've burnt the restore to factory disks or burnt to a usb flash drive (in case of a disaster and you can then restore to Win 8 at least) then see if you can install Windows 7 through Win 8. Boot to Win 8, go to desktop and insert the Win 7 DVD. I haven't done this but it might work. But don't do anything until you've got the restore to factory medium created.

Another way is to remove the drive, buy a new one ( a Seagate 500GB 2.5" Sata is only 38 squids) and install 7 on that. You can then either keep the old one as a backup 'as is' or buy a caddy, format it, and use as a new backup. Please remember to burn the recovery media first.

sharpamat 06:54 09 Mar 14

If you have followed Drave 13 instructions re Back up, Try Booting up with the Win7 disc in the drive

2mother2 14:40 09 Mar 14

Definitely backed everything up, twice! So, I learned a lot doing this for sure. Using my purchased copy of windows7 and booting up with the drive in, isn't as easy as said. First you have to disable secure boot and change to legacy in BIOS. Then, the Windows7 will start, but because I was going from Win8 to Win7, I had to also change my partition because they are not compatable and Microsoft doesn't want anything to be simple enough for the average computer user to be easy to do on their own. But, once figuring out the partitioning issue, the win7 downloaded like a breeze. Then, all that was needed was that all the drivers on my new computer (came with win8)had to be changed to win7 drivers! Done! thank you for all the advice. I guess the best advice I can give is to backup and then keep plugging away at it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…