Uninstalling Win Vista causes Problems?

RoxyRollr 04:49 15 May 08

I'm thinking of uninstalling Windows Vista (can't stand its slowness!) from my laptop and then install Win XP instead - but what I'm wondering is what effect will this have on a number of items such as: How will this uninstallation affect my internet hookup? Will I have to reapply to my cable company for a new Win XP account?
Secondly how will deleting Vista and installing XP affect Windows updates and in my case Dell updates? I still have an XP system from an earlier desktop I used up until about 6 months ago - so can I use that XP system's cd to reprogram my laptop? Will this invalidate my Dell laptop updates?
Finally is there any other better option like installing Linux?

Thanks for any help!!!

Rob_08 13:36 15 May 08

You would be better off performing a clean install of XP rather than go through all the hassle of uninstalling Vista and then wondering if its all ok. If you plan to install XP anyway, do it cleanly.
Backup all of your files etc though, even your emails and internet favorites.

Getting connected after shouldnt be a problem, i assume you know your user pass etc. You can always phone your ISP anyway for help getting online after.
Your XP disk, depends on whether its a retail or OEM, if its retail go ahead and install.

tullie 17:02 15 May 08

Dont worry about your ISP

ventanas 21:58 15 May 08

If the XP disc you have was supplied with the previous system you cannot use it. It is tied to that system
I would be very wary of downgrading, you may find that you have components that are to new for XP drivers to be available. You will certainly invalidate your warranty. Dell have already made this clear.
If you do go for an XP installation you must get drivers for all the components, as as I said, some may not be available.
Why is it slow anyway, I have Vista on three Dell machines and it's extremely fast. What spec is your machine? Maybe an upgrade is all that's needed. I would not advise downgrading a Dell. Too many problems.

anskyber 22:18 15 May 08

Check the number of programs which run at start up. You will be surprised and many are only needed on a casual basis. Trimming start ups will improve the speed of your machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…