unallocated volume on C:

kiz 13:45 19 Jun 08

I have only recently got my vista laptop with 160GB hard disc and I tried to divide the main volume, thinking it would be better to have two smaller volumes. I ended up with a volume (62 GB)which is now allocated as unallocated. When I right click on this and try and create a new simple volume it says I cannot because the disk has the max no of partitions.
There is 1 for 94mB Eisa Configuration, 1 for 2.50GB Primary partition, 1 for 74GB containing all my c drive and 1 for 10GB Primary partition. Last two are NTFS. I realise the above holds recovery etc but my question is if I cant have more than four, how do I get back the 62GB which is unallocated. I have never partitioned a disc before so this is a new subject for me and I am terrified of wiping the main volume.
As simple language as possible would be appreciated as I am not very confident in this area of computing.
thanks

ventanas 14:29 19 Jun 08

The EISA will probably contain a few diagnostic utilities. Best left alone and it's very small anyway. The 10Gb primary is probably your reinstall partition and again should be left alone. 74Gb speaks for itself. What puzzles me is the 2.5Gb. Can you see in My Computer or Explorer and is anything on it. This partiton does not make any sense.

kiz 14:46 19 Jun 08

Thanks for your interest.
There is nothing in my computer or explorer. It is described in computer management as a Primary partition. Simple layout basic type. No letter etc has been assigned to it. When I right click it the only option I have is to delete it. What do you think?

ventanas 14:55 19 Jun 08

If your sure it's not there for a purpose I would get rid. Do you know if it was there when you first got the machine?
When gone you may find you can format the 62Gb and allocate a letter to that, but I would be certain first.
Have you tried the vendors tech support to see if it should be left alone?

kiz 14:58 19 Jun 08

Yes i will make a fewmore enquiries.But if it is important and should be left alone, do you know how I can get back the unallocated 74GB as it wouldnt be the end of the world to have just one large c: drive.- better than messing everything up!

ventanas 15:30 19 Jun 08

You can get it back quite easily, but while Vista can quite easily create partitions, I don't think it can merge them. You will probably need something like Acronis Disk Director or Partition Magic Unfortunately these are not free.
Hopefully someone will know of something that is.

ventanas 15:34 19 Jun 08

click here
Some info on what you can and can't do with Vista.

sinbads 15:47 19 Jun 08

you can extend the volume click here

kiz 15:49 19 Jun 08

I have researched this final partition which seems to be for dell media direct. So I probably shouldnt delete that,even if I dont use it.I have right clicked the unallocated volume and it gives me no action to delete it so I am snookered! I cant understand why it allowed me to make this partition if it wasnt possible to use it but I guess that is just another mystery of Vista.
As you say,perhaps someone else will come up with an idea of how to delete it and so regain the full c: space.

sinbads 15:55 19 Jun 08

follow my link

sinbads 18:02 19 Jun 08

??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…