Unable to open Internet Explorer

covkitty 20:39 13 Jun 08

I have been updating a friend's Dell 1721 Laptop; he currently has no internet access, so I have downloaded the outstanding Vista updates, installed AVG free 8.0 and updated Windows Defender, then scanned the whole system. Problem now is that when I click on IE a window opens and before anything else can happen an error message appears saying 'Internet Explorer has had to close down'. I have disabled Protected mode, no result, then tried to disable DEP but it wouldn't let me. Help please, IE was working before I started the updating etc - should I install SP1?

brundle 21:14 13 Jun 08

Create a new shortcut to Internet Explorer, right click it and select properties, add

-extoff

to the end of the filename, with a space between it and iexplore.exe

It will run IE with no add-ons. If IE works check Tools/Addons to see what you may need to remove.

covkitty 16:28 23 Jun 08

I sddenly remembered that there was a similar problem on my desktop - IE would suddenly close the page I was on for no apparent reason. I checked for any add-ons and found that I had inadvertently downloaded Google Toolbar. I removed it, and no further trouble. So on the laptop I removed both the Toolbar and Google Desktop - hey presto, IE and everything else working perfectly. Maybe there is some sort of conflict between Vista and Google?

brundle 18:30 23 Jun 08

Perhaps, I never use the Google Toolbar so I can't provide any insight. Thanks for getting back with the (probable) solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…