Unable to download video from WMP for vista

guillo 05:59 16 Sep 07

I bought a new computer and had no trouble with WMP but this afternoon I started to recive this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct".

Any suggestions for overcoming this problem.Thank you,

Guillo

Why wont it work 11:02 16 Sep 07

I had this same problem.

Go to the start menu (windows icon) and type in 'firewall' in start search.

Windows firewall with advanced security should be the first option, open it.

When it opens on the right hand side chose new rule. Add a program and then browse to the windows media player exe file (probably c:\program files\ windows media player \ wmplayer.exe). Then go through the process and allow it inbound connects all the time.

You can also try; on the left hand side of the firewall screen go to inbound rules. In the middle of the page a huge list of programs are listed. Scroll down and make sure that all windows media player related files are allowed inbound connections (it will say 'allow')

It worked for me, so I hope it does for you.

tullie 15:53 16 Sep 07

Maybe guillo doesent use Windows Firewall?

guillo 18:26 16 Sep 07

Thank you Tullie.I followed your instructions but on right hand side, I only find the following
subjects:
Import Policies
Export Policies
Restore default
View
Refresh
Priperties

Nowhere I find New rules

guillo 18:34 16 Sep 07

Tullie:

Further to my email, I have windows firewall disconnected as I use Norton Internet Security

Why wont it work 19:10 16 Sep 07

Sorry about that, misread the question! If you're using Norton, follow the instructions from the Norton website here:

click here

Why wont it work 19:12 16 Sep 07

you might want to try WMP with your firewall turned off to see if it is indeed the firewall. If the rest of the internet is working for you, it most likely is though.

guillo 19:45 16 Sep 07

Thank you, again,Tullie. I turned off Norton firewall and keep receiving the same message.

After following your instructions, I remembered that a day before I started to receive message, I wa able to watch a video with no problem and had firwall on. Consecuently, the firewall should no be the problem.

The message, which I am transcribing again, mentions proxy setting, but have followed windows instructions and have been useless

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because a network error occurred. The server might not be available. Verify that you are connected to the network and that your proxy settings are correct".

Why wont it work 20:34 16 Sep 07

Exactly the same happened to me, hence I thought it was the firewall. Most network related problems are as a result of the firewall blocking needed ports.

Have you installed or changed anything before the problem started? You could try a system restore to an earlier date to see if it works.

Furthermore, in media player go to Tools then options and chose the network tab. Make sure RTSP/UDP, RTSP/TCP and HTTP and multicast streams are ticked. Under streaming proxy settings make sure under the proxy column that HTTP reads browser and RTSP reads none.

guillo 22:54 16 Sep 07

How thoughtfull of you.I appreciate you interest in trying to help me. I followed your instructions and checked if they were ticked and they are.

As to system restore I have not changed anything in WMP. I only unticked from start-up, yahoo music and Samsung printer as it was taking too long to start. As you know, the more softwares you have in start-up, the longer it takes the PC to become available to navigate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…