Unable to Download Adobe Reader X on 7 Pro

Audio~~Chip 19:34 22 Mar 11

Having problem trying to download Adobe Reader X on HP Windows 7 Pro 32bit laptop of wifes.

I can get to accept the ActiveX control then just nothing happens at all after that.

Tried a malware scan, windows is upto date. Any suggestion please, I only want Adobe X no other software options.

a member 20:27 22 Mar 11

had a similar experience updating to the previous version , first it would not seem to accept the active x control then finally when I got it to accept I click OK to begin download and nothing apeared to happen .
but the following day I was having a cleanup and went o my temp folder to clear it out . at C/Users/my name /app Data (hidden)/local/temp/..

there was the adobe installer ,It had downloaded but not gone into installation mode .I double clicked it and it installed .
a bit wierd .but maybe worth a check , if you have the same problem as I had .

Audio~~Chip 23:30 22 Mar 11

Found it to be HP Patch for the laptop with Download No.SP48586

simply download the above HP Patch run the Exe file and let it run (took about 5mins).

Makes me wonder though as this was a fix for a problem with ActiveX downloads not running correctly it may actually be Microsoft patch and HP have took it onboard. But if this was the case then you would have expected it to be in the Windows 7 downloads.

Oh, well at least Adobe is on and its fixed now. Thanks merlinx you fix also seems to be a good point and suggestion.

Also to add, I thought of a last minute idea but didn't try this. Download the AdobeX Standalone programme to desktop which bypasses ActiveX Control.

dave2207 10:50 13 Apr 11

If you are using IE9 then ensure that the 'ActiveX Filtering' option ('Tools' menu) is not set. Enabling this will block all Flash activity,including installation of Reader X, without any warning message. On the positive side, enabling this feature before visiting those sites that have annoying auto-starting adverts and videos, is very useful.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos