Trying to locate' Manage Wireless Networks' in Windows 7

spuds 20:25 06 Jan 15
Answered

Trying to connect some new devices to the internet, I am having a few problems, including finding the network security key.

For some reason, all the instructions that I have suggests trying to follow Control Panel, Network and Sharing, then "View your basic network information and set up connections", on the left of that page should be 'Control Panel Home' 'Manage wireless networks' Change Adapter settings' 'Change advanced sharing settings'.

'Manage wireless networks' doesn't appear on my system, which is making any further progress difficult.

Where is, or how can I locate 'Manage wireless networks' if it isn't displayed?.

I am using W7 64Bit Home Premium Pro Version 6 Build 7601.

Any help would be appreciated, because I think this is a problem that may have caused difficulties in the past, with previous network connections.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 06 Jan 15

To get to the security key you need to access the routers home page

what make of router?

192.168.0.1 is a common address to put in to your browser to acess the router

you will need the routers username and password to access the router settings

spuds 08:48 07 Jan 15

Fruit Bat - Thank you for your response.

This is becoming more of a mystery, because having used the 'correct' specified details 192.168.1.1 I am getting 'timed out' or 'the connection as been reset' messages. Using a combination of similar numbers (192.168.0.1 etc) I am getting similar error messages.

The other point that I raised, was the missing "Manage Wireless Network", which according to the information I have, it should be showing on my system or my version of W7, yet it is not.

Can you please tell me if its showing in W7 you might be using. If you do not have W7, then perhaps someone else might check this out for me.

I had a local IT consultant who does work for the local school's and their computer equipment in, and he did some changes to my system, but i am not sure what. Him and his family are on extended holiday, so I am unable to make contact with him, to see if he can put any light on the situation.

Secret-Squirrel 08:49 07 Jan 15

Spuds, go to Control Panel and change the "View by" setting (top-right) to one of the icon options. Next, click on "Network & Sharing Center" and you'll find "Manage Wireless Networks" near the top of the left-hand pane where you'll be able to view the saved passwords for existing wireless networks.

spuds 08:51 07 Jan 15

Secret-Squirrel. Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

spuds 09:01 07 Jan 15

Secret-Squirrel

I have just tried what you have suggest, but the 'View by' only gives me the options of large icon or small icon. Using either still doesn't produce "Manage Wireless Network".

This is one of the problems that I seem to have. I did a little internet research, and all seems to suggest that in W7, "Manage Wireless Network" should be displayed, yet it is not on my version of W7 (if that makes sense?).

Batch 09:06 07 Jan 15

Use "Super Control Panel" (aka God Mode).

Either create a link with the target of:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

OR use the Run option from the Start Menu and enter the above in the Run dialogue box.

Then you will get a full detailed list of all the Control Panel options broken down by category. Scroll down to the Network and Sharing Centre section and Manage Wireless Networks should be about the 7th item in that section.

Secret-Squirrel 09:28 07 Jan 15

" ........and all seems to suggest that in W7, "Manage Wireless Network" should be displayed, yet it is not on my version of W7.........."

If the computer has a working wireless adapter then here's an example of what you should see.

spuds 09:52 07 Jan 15

Secret-Squirrel

I agree, that is what I should see, but I don't, it doesn't appear for some strange reason.

Secret-Squirrel 10:05 07 Jan 15

Spuds, in Control Panel, click in the Search box top-right and start typing manage wireless networks. After typing just a few characters it should appear in the list of available options.

If that doesn't work then hopefully Batch's suggestion will.

spuds 10:07 07 Jan 15

Just after my post at 9.01AM, I contacted TalkTalk, my ISP, and had a rather interesting conversation.

Apparently they are going to send me their latest router, plus at present I have a rolling contract with them, which they want to change to an 18 month contract, with the provision that I will have the same services that I have at present, with a price reduction of £6.98 per month, which I have not accepted.

They have conducted various tests, and found no problems, even though I have had broadband disconnections over the past three weeks. The same with my TT Webmail. The same problem's I had in the past, that was not fully rectified, because TT and BT knew there was a problem, but just could not actually find it, even after extensive service work on their behalf.

But that doesn't solve the mystery of the missing "Manage Wireless Network" on my version of W7.

So it looks like it will remain a mystery, and the new router may resolve hopefully some issues.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced