Transferring backup file to Vista fromXP SP2

katywozere 19:42 23 Feb 08

After reformatting my HDD & installing Vista Ultimate I find my backup file (XP Pro SP2 on an external HDD) is not compatible. I have access to another computer which has XP Pro SP2. If I put my backup on that & open it up, will it then transfer to Vista? I love Vista but can't afford to lose my bkf. Many thanks if you can help.
Katywozere

Forum Editor 23:03 23 Feb 08

then you can use the Easy transfer facility on your Vista commputer to transfer the files. You can also transfer program settings, provided the software is installed on both computers.

To start the Vista Easy transfer system just click on start, and type 'Easy' (without the quotes) into the Start search box.

katywozere 23:13 23 Feb 08

I've made mistakes in the past and would not want to chance this without some assurance. I have the loan of the computer on Monday so now I'm ready.
Thank you, and also for such a prompt response.
Katywozere

Forum Editor 23:17 23 Feb 08

an easy transfer 'companion' that will transfer programs from XP machines to Vista computers. I've been testing a beta version, and it's an extremely useful utility. Unfortunately it's not yet available.

katywozere 19:45 24 Feb 08

All your very kind help is much appreciated. I do, however, still have a problem. It seems I have everything needed (NT Restore, W.Easy Transfer (for both Vista & XP) + Companion + Silverlight).The backup is now on both computers so at least I shan't be losing it whichever way I proceed (she said). My problem is that Vista does not recognise the extension .bkf & that has stumped me!
Alternatively, I believe I have to install the W.E.T.+ Companion on both computers, then connect them with an A-A USB lead, if I have to do it that way.
Sorry to be a nuisance about this, I hope I'm not being totally naive.

katywozere 19:36 25 Feb 08

I believe that at a worst case scenario I could do the folowing: Reformat my HDD, install XP Pro SP2 - restore the backup file and then install Vista on top - is that a feasable suggestion?
I appreciate the trouble you have gone to so I am just trying to simplify matters. Many thanks.
Katywozere

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009