Transfer Of Win 7 license between PCs

lumuah 10:15 09 Sep 10

I bought the retail version of Win 7 Home Premium when it came out, and put it on my laptop.

I'm now building a PC for my parents, and I was thinking about transferring the Win 7 install to the new PC.

I still have the Vista for my laptop that it came with, but would probably want to keep Win 7 on it until i'm happy that the PC is working ok.

Having never transferred licences between PCs, can anyone advise me of how easy the process is? Will the two versions run concurrently (I know its a license for one, but i'd like to know what happens!) or will the 'old' version stop working correctly?

a member 10:55 09 Sep 10

unfortunately retail versions are for one licience (single user ) a full version can be used on one machine at a time only , if you install it on a new PC you will have to uninstall it on the other. ,otherwise the activation key will get flagged when you activate it and soon after both machines will become de-activated . its a difficult system to understand but its there to stop piracy .If you buy a full retail version you will have both 32bit and 64bit discs and you can use either with the same key ,but not at the same time and not on more than one machine .
so ,taking that into account ,you have a choice ,you will have a grace period on the new computer (30days) during that time you can use it without activating and your laptop will stay legally activated . you will need to remove it from your laptop once you activate it on the new PC ,and there is every chance that the new activation will fail as microsoft will know its on a different machine than it was registered to.
dont worry ,during activation you simply use the option to contact microsoft and explain that you have uninstalled it from your old PC and put it on your new one . remember the PCs must both be yours .(non transferable) . if activation fails you will have very limited access to your PC until you sort out the activation.
it sounds daunting ,but its not that much bother really .

lumuah 11:04 09 Sep 10

Merlinx - thank you for the advice. Much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…