Toshiba laptop hard drive split

fredsboy 10:07 11 Dec 13

My wife has a Toshiba laptop running windows 7. At the weekend, she tried to load a lot of photos and got the insufficient drive space message. The hard drive should be 160 gb but on investigation drive C which was almost full has only got 80gb and another drive (E) is showing the remaining 80gb. Is it possible to amalgamate these two drives into one and why was the hard drive set up like this in the first place?

Jollyjohn 13:20 11 Dec 13

Hello

Yes it is possible to merge the two partitions however I would not. I would move "My Documents" and "My photos" to the D drive. This will give your data a measure of protection should you need to re install / recover Windows.

The process is very straight forward. Start Computer Open D Right click and create a new folder Documents, Black Hole, Anything you like....

Go back to Start Click on your wife's name and this will open explorer and show all her folders Right click on My Documents Select Properties, at the bottom of the list Select the Location tab Move Browse to the newly created folder on D Apply OK

You can do this for as many of the folders as you wish, photos, downloads, music etc.

woodchip 17:32 11 Dec 13

By making the two into one, will stop any restore media working that was provided with the PC from working. You should manually move photos and any personal files to the other partition. NOT PROGRAMS

fredsboy 09:08 13 Dec 13

Thanks for all the advice, I have already started moving files over and deleting unused programmes. But it does seem a strange way to set up a hard drive giving 50% is a bit extreme.

woodchip 10:40 13 Dec 13

When you load Program do a Custom install to load the Program to D:\ it will then load the main Program in the Partition, though some file will go on C:\ and into Registry

xania 10:54 13 Dec 13

You don't say how full your E: drive is. If it is the restore partition, which I doubt (as the restore partition is normally hidden and can only be seen if you use a Partition Manager) then it still will not require anything like 80GB, so you can use the spare to create a D: drive. However, I would also say that it is most unusual for the HDD to be partitioned by the manufacturer (apart from that hidden restore partition) so I wonder WHO split the drive for you! A previous owner??

woodchip 15:11 13 Dec 13

Both My Medions was setup by Medion with three Partition. E:\ was restore. And they was not big drives about 60gig on Desktop and only 3Gig on Laptop but still had tree partitions. Also got a Restore disc to boot from and a full system disc to to a full system install

fredsboy 10:22 16 Dec 13

Xania There is very little on the E drive, just appears to be some operating systems. We bought the laptop new and this is how it was set up because I have not made any changes - in fact I have only just become aware of the problem. Had I realised, I could have installed some of the software like itunes and music from scratch rather than now having to transfer it.

xania 10:38 16 Dec 13

I would not recommend putting anything else on your E: drive - it could well be the restore partition. However, what I would suggest is that you reduce its size to a little over the size it needs to store what's already in there and use the remaining space to create a new drive on which you can then store anything you like.

xania 10:59 16 Dec 13

I would not recommend putting anything else on your E: drive - it could well be the restore partition. However, what I would suggest is that you reduce its size to a little over the size it needs to store what's already in there and use the remaining space to create a new drive on which you can then store anything you like.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced