Task Manager in Win 7 not working correctly

cagey 11:45 18 Oct 10

When I open the task manager, the screen appears, but when I click on the "End Task" button nothing happens. The rest of the functions (processes,Services etc) are working ok. I have downloaded a Task Manager Fix program and ran it, but am still not able to end tasks. Help please?

rawprawn 19:47 19 Oct 10

Try a system file scan, open Cmd Prompt as administrator (right click and select run as administrator)and at the prompt type "sfc /scannow" then hit Enter. It will take awhile but it will replace any missing or corrupt files.

cagey 20:15 19 Oct 10

rawprawn---have carried out sfc/scannow as per your directions and it is still not ending tasks. Any other help please?

rawprawn 13:47 20 Oct 10

Have look here, always make a backup of your registry before changing anything.
click here
To backup the registry Start> Run> type regedit>
hit Enter> Make sure "Computer" is highlighted then go to "File" and select Export then save your file somewhere you can find it easily so that you can restore it if anything goes wrong

rawprawn 13:58 20 Oct 10

This may be easier to follow click here

cagey 19:33 20 Oct 10

rawprawn
Followed procedure as per your posting, but when I got to Policies\System there were 2 other files apart from the Default, they were DisableRegistry Tools and DisableTaskmgr, the latter already had a value of 0 assigned, which I would have thought enabled the Task Manager, but it's not. More help please?

cagey 21:17 20 Oct 10

Have just tried using Task Manager in SAFE mode and it works perfectly, but it is not working correctly in Normal mode. Suggestions please?

rawprawn 21:52 20 Oct 10

Sorry if the value is set to 0, I am not sure what to do. Unless someone else with better knowledge can help, I think I would be inclined to do a repair install of windows 7.
click here
It doesn't take too long and you don't lose any data or programs.

cagey 22:32 20 Oct 10

rawprawn
I've just been doing some research and what you doing is to Enable the Task Manager or Disable the Task Manager. If it is Disabled you are unable to open it, it is greyed out. This is not my problem; I can open it ok but when I try to end a task it does not close it. Can anyone please help?

cagey 13:42 21 Oct 10

rawprawn
I tried to carry out a "repair install" of windows 7, but it failed about half way with a blue screen and failure notice. I was able to get back into win7 again, but Task Manager problem is still there. Can somebody please help me?

rawprawn 16:48 21 Oct 10

Try again,make sure that your firewall and antivirus is turned off

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…