system restore wont work hp laptop windows 8

march 20:16 21 Mar 14
Answered

hello to all

hope someone can help please my daughters hp pavilion laptop windows 8.1 under 'system protection tab' and under the 'system restore' when we click on the 'system restore' nothing happens so it's not getting to the next window 'restore system files and settings'

if we click on 'configure' or 'create' the next windows come up on both

have run all anti virus checks and malware etc cleaned out with ccleaner but the window will not open.

I know it has taken checkpoints because I can see them in ccleaner can anyone help please?

regards march

march 06:18 22 Mar 14

Hiya Jock1e

thank you for your reply but I think I haven't explained myself very well.

We don't have a problem on the laptop as in we need to use system restore point.

I was showing my daughter how to take a restore point and went to show her where the restore point is should she ever need to use it. When I clicked on the 'system restore' box the next window won't load so it is to get this window to open we need help with please. so it is the window 'restore system files and settings' that won't open.

hope that clearer to understand

thank you

march 06:29 22 Mar 14

Hiya Jock1e

If I have misunderstood about safe mode and that is what we need to do, what exactly do I do once in safe mode please to get the next window to open? Sorry if that sounds bit thick but I only understand basic pc operations and will be completely lost once I start doing something like safe mode.

march

march 08:42 22 Mar 14

hello Jock1e

I think I understand what you mean, problem I got is the laptop not in my possession at the moment and will probably be Monday before I can have it dropped off to me, I have been doing some searching on line and found this info ...

This is a valid program that is required to run at startup.

This program is required to run on startup in order to benefit from its functionality or so that the program will work. The following information is a brief description of what is known about this file. If you require further assistance for this file, feel free to ask about in the forums.

Name: *Restore Filename: rstrui.exe Command: %system%\restore\rstrui.exe -i Description: This is the legitimate file required for System Restore to work properly. If you tell the computer to do a System Restore, it will appear in the RunOnce area. Once the system is restored or the restore has been attempted, it will automatically remove itself from startup.

Depending on the computer, rstrui.exe may instead be found here: %system% with the following command: %system%\rstrui.exe /runonce File Location: %system%\restore\rstrui.exe Startup Type: This startup entry is started automatically from a Run, RunOnce, RunServices, or RunServicesOnce entry in the registry.

march 09:05 22 Mar 14

I found some sites that say they repair the rstrui.exe but it won't let me post the links as it says they are spam

have you any thoughts on using a site to repair the missing file? I will appreciate your input please

regards march

rdave13 10:41 22 Mar 14
Answer

A lot of useful information from HP here. It includes how to get to system restore in safe mode. Just work your way down through the blog.

If you think that a system file is not working correctly then it will do no harm the run the system file checker. On the desktop right click the START icon bottom left, select Command Prompt (Admin). Once CMD windows opens type or copy and paste sfc/scannow and press enter. It will then scan the system files for errors and attempt to repair if any found.

march 10:52 22 Mar 14

thanks for the link rdave13, will read it all and run the system file checker as you suggest, really hope that sorts it,

as I said earlier it will be couple of days before daughter brings laptop to me so all suggestions are very helpful.

have spoken to her about laptop this morning and she says it all working well so it just seems to be this missing file that the problem.

least it good that we found problem before we needed the system restore function for any reason.

regards and thanks you for your time.

march 12:03 24 Mar 14

Hi everyone

checked before I did anything to see if window would open in system restore and problem was still the same.

then went onto the HP site as rdave13 suggested and let it download all updates and the system restore nows opens in all windows

thank you very much for the help

kind regards march

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…