System restore will not work

proudfoot 22:28 PM 13 Mar 13

System Restore is creating restore points, but when I try to restore my system I get a message saying System Restore could not be completed and my system is returned to its original state.

difarn 06:20 AM 14 Mar 13

Your anti-virus protection may be causing this. You could try to disable this and then try a restore. What message did you get, if any, when the restore was unsuccessful.

Another thing is to go into safe mode to try a system restore.

Have you run a virus scan recently with something like Malwarebytes free?

proudfoot 12:35 PM 15 Mar 13

I can Restore in Safe Mode but cannot restore even with AVG disabled. Something else must be stopping system restore working. I have checked for nasties etc. and nothing is showing.

difarn 14:50 PM 15 Mar 13

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean when you say you can restore in safe mode but cannot restore even with AVG disabled. Are you saying that you have tried this and it failed? What message did you get - what it to do with shadow copy service? How many restore points have you tried?

Have you recently installed any new software? Have a look at this article and the suggestion on checking the system files that may have become corrupt.

proudfoot 12:04 PM 16 Mar 13

I have checked your link and the Volume Shadow Copy was set to Manual. I have changed it to automatic but System Restore still does not work.

difarn 16:41 PM 16 Mar 13

You could run this command to see if a repair can be made.

Start - run - type in cmd

At the command propt type sfc /scannow there is a space beween the c and /

You should then get a report of any corruption and possibly a repair. It may be necessary to repeat this more than once.

You may also be interested in this post on the Vista forum.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch EA Gamescom 2015 Press Conference live: EA Gamescom live stream - watch EA talk Star…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Play the retro 8-bit dating naked adventure game by The Uprising Creative

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…