system restore vista premium

Theman000 11:53 10 May 07

Hi,

I want to go back to the PC's factory defaults because my system is very instable. Does anyone know which button to press to enter this 'restore to factory defaults screen'. It used to be ctrl+F11 in win XP, but I don't know what it is with Vista.

A friend of mine said it is now F8, but that doesn't do anyhing either. Would it be the same if I entered the BIOS and system restored from there? Or does that delete the OS as well?

BurrWalnut 13:47 10 May 07

We need to know the manufacturer of the PC.

Theman000 14:09 10 May 07

sorry, forgot to mention that. I have a dell dimension E521

Ontrack 14:51 10 May 07

Try the following link from, click here
it may help.

Link part quote.

"There is a Dell Restore Partition but you do not access it through the Ctrl+F11 like all of the other OS packages offered by Dell.

In order to access the new Dell Restore Partition you'll want to hit F8 after the Dell Splash screen and select: "Repair your Computer", then click next, then select your user name and type in your password (if you have one). Then select Dell Factory Image Restore.

You should have all of your data backed up before completing this proccess!"

ventanas 16:05 10 May 07

Unless it's like my E521. I got a full dvd of the OS together with a separate driver disc.
In order to go back to the day I bought it with this setup I will have to reinstall from the dvd and cd. Which is just the way I want it.

ventanas 16:13 10 May 07

From the downloaded pdf manual for the E521

Turn on the computer.
During the boot process, a blue bar with click here appears at the top of the screen.
2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.
If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the
computer again.

But it also mentions Windows XP. This would probably explain why I got a full set of installation discs. The built in restore is set up for XP so they have to supply discs for Vista.

Theman000 Did your system come with Vista, or is it an upgrade from XP?

ventanas 16:15 10 May 07

The click here appeared because the wording referred to is www. dell.com.

Theman000 16:22 10 May 07

The PC came with Windows vista pre-installed. I do however have the original Windows vista disk.

If I install that disk again, will that do the trick, and restore the PC to its factory settings? Or will I just have 2 windows vista's on my computer then and make the situation even worse?

ventanas 16:24 10 May 07

I've never tried it, but I assume it will be similar to XP. The dvd will format the hard drive, and reinstall Vista. You then run the driver cd to install video, sound etc..etc...

You ill still have just the one installation.

I will try to find out.

Theman000 16:30 10 May 07

ok, I'll give it a go. Just one final question; does it matter that I have windows vista premium installed. I think I've got the disks for both windows vista and windows vista premium. If I reinstall the simple version of windows vista, can I easily upgrade to premium once the disk has been formatted?

btw, thanks for all the replies

ventanas 16:30 10 May 07

Some help here click here_

But there doesn't seem to be much available yet. Step 10 seems to be the main option for formatting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…