System restore has re-set defaults

xquest 22:47 22 Dec 10

I am slowly transferring from XP on an old PC to Windows 7 Pro. on a new one. The new one has a small solid state drive (SSD) for OS and programs and a large disk for data. Today I ran a Win 7 system restore to get back to a clean situation and found that the desktop had been re-set to default values. Several icons have gone, the mouse is double click instead of single, and so on. An icon-restore program has gone (but is still in the Download folder).
And now, every time I re-boot I get a message that a temporary profile has been loaded - and to get back to 'my' desktop I must log off and re-boot. Which does nothing, apart from removing the gadgets and resetting everything to default again.
Yes, I know I shouldn't be using System Restore with an SSD, but that is not because of any software restriction it is to stop the SSD wearing out. and is only a temporary measure whilst I load software. So what do I do now ? Restore from a disk image taken several weeks ago or ???
My opinion of Windows 7 is not good ....

gengiscant 08:16 23 Dec 10

I personally would start afresh and reinstall Windows 7.
But make sure before you do that you are prepared.
Like you I have an SSD and on Tuesday transferred my mobo with new RAM and new SSD to a NZXT Phantom Red case.
Like you I just have my OS and programs on the SSD with everything else on a separate drive which is is then backed up to a networked drive.
I keep a folder on that drive which has all the latest drivers and all the programs I tend to use often.
I also use Ninite click here which makes installing most of the more popular programs a doddle.
I have also gone from 32 bit to 64 bit with the extra RAM I purchased and so far everything I have installed works fine with 64 bit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos