system restore fails with error 0x80004005 and 0x8000204

armstrongpiper 16:11 17 Nov 14

I need to do a system restore on my Windows 8.1 Laptop. Restore fails to complete, errors 0x80004005 and 0x8000204. How can I resolve these errors? There's a Fix tool advertised, which needs a licence to be purchased to use the utility. I'm quite willing to do this if I can be sure it will be successful.

Neil B

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:44 17 Nov 14

Assume you are trying to do it from inside windows without Full admin privileges

try:

Boot into the Advanced Startup menu.

1. Open the Charms bar by moving your mouse into the bottom-right corner of your screen, or by swiping from the right edge. Click “Settings” and then click “Power”. Hold the Shift key and click on the “Restart” option. If you cannot access Windows, insert your installation disc and select “Repair your computer”. The Advanced Startup menu will open.

2. Select Troubleshoot. This will open a menu of tools that you can use to repair your computer. Click “Advanced Options”, and then select “System Restore”. You may be asked to log in, and then System Restore will open.

3. Windows will automatically select the most recent restore point in which something was installed or changed. If you want to select a different point, click the bottom option and click Next. You will be provided a list of available points with a short description of what occurred to create the restore point.

4. When you select your point, you will be given one more chance to ensure that you want to proceed. Review the point you selected and click the “Finish” button and then “Yes” to start the restore.

5. Your system will reboot and the restore process will begin. Once the restore is finished, Windows will load and you will be shown a message confirming that the restore was successful.

armstrongpiper 21:08 18 Nov 14

Thanks for the suggestion, and tried it, but System Restore fails however it is started, even on Safe Mode. I have enlisted the help of Microsoft Technical Assistance, and am awaiting an email with instructions to locate and cure the damaged/corrupted files on my Disc.

Cheers, Neil B

armstrongpiper 11:28 22 Nov 14

Issues are finally resolved. I decided to get Microsoft Support on to case, and they found corruption/missing files etc on the Disc C, which required a complete re-installation of Windows 8.1. Microsoft engineers worked 2 days diagnosing and fixing things, with remote access to my computer. I am positive I couldn't have done it myself!! It cost £65, and cheap at the price judging by how many hours it took. It has been brought home to me how important it is not to open any links which are at all doubtful in authenticity.

Neil B

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:36 22 Nov 14

You can check for missing or corrupt windows files yourself.

type

sfc /scannow

in the search box and windows will search for and replace any corrupt or missing files. This will take some time and does not require windows to be reinstalled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…