System Restore

avesnes1 21:42 PM 19 Nov 09

Have any members had any trouble with System Restore in Windows 7?

When I tried to start this via All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, my machine froze completely and I had to restart Windows 7 by pushing the on/off button on my tower. I have now been through this cycle 3 times, each time with the same effect.

Any comment/advice/guidance would be appreciated.

gardener 22:31 PM 19 Nov 09

Forget system restore, it hardly ever works (Never for me). Acronis True Image is the best programme for backing up and restoring a computer's complete configuration.

avesnes1 22:42 PM 19 Nov 09

gardener,
I tend to agree - I use Acronis but I am a bit puzzled at the fact that I cannot even start the System Restore application plus the complete freezing effect.

gardener 22:58 PM 19 Nov 09

You could try scanning the system files for any corruption.I think this works in Windows 7:

Type in the search bar 'Run' and then click on the programme 'Run' that comes up.

type in: sfc /scannow.

Remember there is a space between 'sfc' and the '/'

avesnes1 23:19 PM 19 Nov 09

gardener
I tried running sfc /scannow and nothing happened. I'm beginning to think that I've got several/many? corrupted system files.

gardener 23:52 PM 19 Nov 09

Mmmh, strange. You could maybe try this:

click here

avesnes1 16:51 PM 20 Nov 09

gardener,
Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look at your link.

Just to deepen the mystery, as I prepared to install some M/S updates, a message came up to say that a System Restore would be done before the installation. The machine did not freeze and the updates were installed successfully. But of course, I cannot check to see if a Restore point was created.

avesnes1 18:04 PM 20 Nov 09

I've just googled "windows 7" + "system restore problem". It seems that I'm not alone. There are several differing problems with System Restore. One person found that his anti-virus software(Norton) was somehow interferring. I'm using Avast. I'll try temporarily disabling Avast and then running System Restore.

rdave13 19:15 PM 20 Nov 09

Check your restore settings.
Start- system and security--system--advanced system settings--system protection. Check system restore is on to your C: drive.
Under the configure tab I've set max restore to 15%.

avesnes1 20:07 PM 20 Nov 09

I disabled the Standard Shield in Avast and then tried System Restore. Up came the dialogue box and I manually created a restore point. I enabled the Shield in Avast and then tried to see if the point had been created. The screen froze.

I have now just tried rdave13's suggestion and it took me to a dialogue box which listed one restore point correctly dated and timed.

It does seem that the anti-virus software is clashing with System Restore. I wonder if this is a problem for ALWIL software or Microsoft or both?

rdave13 20:16 PM 20 Nov 09

Using Avast and Windows 7. Typing system restore in the search bar and clicking on it starts the restore process. Works ok to the point I have to cancel. Shows the main restore points with option to show more.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Moto G 2015 confirmed: Motorola Moto G UK release date, price and specification details - New…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Digital visionaries lined up for dConstruct

Apple Pay UK launch guide and participating UK banks: HSBC, First Direct finally support Apple Pay