System backup - Windows 8 et al

junef 10:42 AM 29 May 13

Although I back up my data and picture files regularly to an external hard drive, I have been told I should do a system backup. If so, I presume they mean the Windows 8 system, as I did not get any back up disks with my new laptop (Sony VAIO)OR do I back up the whole system? Can you tell me whether I should be doing this - which files and where they are located in File Explorer - How do I find out what size memory stick I will need?

junef 14:47 PM 30 May 13

Thanks Jock1e, but you are obviously better clued up than me. Presumably I save this externally, else there is little point in doing it. What will this 'recovery' action save? Will it save Windows and all my apps? Will I be able to specify destination drive/medium, and what sort of memory storage do I need - is a memory stick OK? I know this is like asking how long is a piece of string, but what size memory stick do I need to get - I have Windows 8 Microsoft Office, Photoshop, but little else.

rdave13 19:22 PM 31 May 13

Have a look at this Video tutorial. As you say backing up to another drive is best.

rdave13 19:24 PM 31 May 13

If it's just an image needed then control panel, Windows 7 file recovery, and on the left select Create System Image.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…