Stuck when upgrading

adamcoppard 08:57 14 Jan 07

Just bought a vey nice HP Media Center PC. I was wandering will all my XP software run on Vista (games, graphics design software etc.) I.E is there a compatibilty mode. Alsoi when recieveing the upgrade does it come as a CD and am I forced to upgrade to Vista IE will my XP stop working. Thanks

Jimmy14 11:58 14 Jan 07

This list of the compatible RTM software should give you a rough idea on which programs work perfect or not but I would also follow Beta's advice and run the upgrade advisor. I think the upgrade is a dvd and no you're not forced to upgrade to vista. Your xp won't stop working. You can even have a dual boot meaning xp and vista on your computer or just scrap xp and run vista.

click here

Genius1 11:21 15 Jan 07

Vista will only be shipped on DVD. Some programs will run with Vista with the Vista 'Basic' interface (not Aero (which is unavailable with Home Basic anyway)). Use the Vista Upgrade Advisor as ├četa suggests to be able to view a summary of how your PC (drivers and software) will cope.

adamcoppard 16:51 15 Jan 07

IT is Vista Premium that I'm getting free.

Genius1 19:38 15 Jan 07

Sorry - a misunderstanding. Some programs may run using the Vista Basic interface even if you have Home Premium and therefore Aero.

The Express Upgrade will only install as an upgrade (as the name suggests) - a clean install is not possible. If you have your XP disk, you should be able to install this back again if you don't like Vista.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…