Stuck in chkdsk

silverfox2 13:04 PM 06 Nov 12

I'd been having start up problems with my laptop so used the recovery manager to format the drive and reinstall Vista.Now starts OK so I scheduled a disk check including scanning for bad sectors. CHKDSK got to stage 4 (of 5) and has been at this point for two hours now - shouldn't take this long surely? The disk activity light is not flashing so should I assume the process has "hung"? If it has and I just switch off, might I do more damage? What is the alternative though? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

thubay1 10:38 AM 17 Nov 12
  CurlyWhirly 16:12 PM 19 Nov 12

If you have a large hard drive then running stages 4 and 5 of the checkdisk scan can take many hours.

You can tell if something is happening as there should be activity on the screen indicating what sector(s) the scan has got to.

I would only think that nothing was happening if the screen doesn't show any activity.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Vaio Z Canvas release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro rival but for the US

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Steve Albini's notorious email is now a punchy music video

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…