Stuck in chkdsk

silverfox2 13:04 PM 06 Nov 12

I'd been having start up problems with my laptop so used the recovery manager to format the drive and reinstall Vista.Now starts OK so I scheduled a disk check including scanning for bad sectors. CHKDSK got to stage 4 (of 5) and has been at this point for two hours now - shouldn't take this long surely? The disk activity light is not flashing so should I assume the process has "hung"? If it has and I just switch off, might I do more damage? What is the alternative though? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

thubay1 10:38 AM 17 Nov 12
  CurlyWhirly 16:12 PM 19 Nov 12

If you have a large hard drive then running stages 4 and 5 of the checkdisk scan can take many hours.

You can tell if something is happening as there should be activity on the screen indicating what sector(s) the scan has got to.

I would only think that nothing was happening if the screen doesn't show any activity.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

14 best budget laptops of 2015: best budget laptops reviews - best cheap laptops - best bargain…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Animated film of Raymond Briggs' Ethel and Ernest ramps up production

From Antennagate to Yellowgate: The 10 worst Apple scandals (and why they were blown out of proport)…