startup repair says all is fine; boot in safe mode w/ nworkg is fine. but can't startup

hallockd 18:32 PM 22 Mar 13

Bootup proceeds to the phase with the little green bar moving across it's path repeating. It repeats several times, then freezes in place for good.

Help?

rdave13 19:32 PM 23 Mar 13

Try setting up a clean boot in safe mode, shows how to in Vista here.

Remember to Hide all Microsoft services in Services. Reboot as normal to see if you can log in. Re-enable half the service to see if still ok. Process of elimination but all the info is in the link.

hallockd 20:45 PM 23 Mar 13

thanks, rdave, for the suggestion!

I tried the clean boot just as it was laid out and I still got the frozen green line thingie. My bootlog shows that the "did not load file" started at the point below:

Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys
Did not load driver @hal.inf,%acpi_amd64.devicedesc%;ACPI x64-based PC
Did not load driver LogMeIn Mirror Driver Did not load driver LogMeIn Mirror Driver

I tried searching for that "hal.inf" and "acpi_amd64" but found too much to weed through, apparently this is a well-used driver or whatever it is.

rdave13 22:26 PM 23 Mar 13

Hal problems could mean hardware or driver problems. Try booting back to safe mode, in the search bar type CMD. In the list right click CMD and select 'run as administrator'. Type sfc /scannow, or copy and paste to the command prompt window (space after 'c' and '/'). Run it a few times.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites