Start up problems!

modsteve60s 13:39 09 Aug 08

Ever since I tried to load Aol VR9 onto my (Vista) laptop I have had problems. First of all, when I tried to use it my computer froze and restarted. I tried to delete it from remove programmes and using internet explorer. Now everytime I turn on my computer it runs something called chk disk trying one steps one to three, where it only reaches half way through step two (at this it's a gamble whether it starts or doesn't, most times it does!). I Have tried system restore, but it says it can't do anything as the 'Disk Vista C has Errors' detecting a file system coruption on Vista C.

The only disc that arrived with the computer (Zoostorm), is a disc called Notebook driver, if this information is helpful.

Can anyone please advise me?

Thankyou

brundle 22:28 09 Aug 08

Open a command prompt as Administrator (method 1) click here

At the prompt, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C: and press Enter. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty. Next, type CHKNTFS /X C: The X tells Windows NOT to check that particular drive on the next reboot. At this time, manually reboot your computer, it should not do a Chkdsk and take you directly to Windows.

Once Windows has loaded, open a Command Prompt window again and perform a Chkdsk manually by typing CHKDSK /F /R C: This should take you through 5 stages of the scan and will unset that dirty bit. Finally, type FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY D: and Windows should confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

modsteve60s 23:36 09 Aug 08

Hi
Thanks for the advice.
I followed your instructions up until CHKDSK /F /R C: where it told me I had to restart to make the CHKDSK to work. When it started it went through stage one, then only half way through stage two, when it stopped and went straight into Windows.
'FSUTIL DIRTY QUERY C:' still shows dirty.
Have I done something wrong or is something wrong with my computer?
Many thanks.

modsteve60s 17:42 10 Aug 08

Tried again, same problem.

anskyber 18:09 10 Aug 08

Are you trying to stop the auto check disc? If so read down click here

modsteve60s 18:18 11 Aug 08

Thanks for that, but no it still didn't work. Stage one then half way through stage two then straight into windows.
I can't see what the problem is, because at the moment it seems to be starting. System restore, says it can't do anything as the 'Disk Vista C has Errors' detecting a file system coruption on Vista C.

brundle 19:10 11 Aug 08

Try just

chkdsk c:

at the prompt - does that reveal what problem Chkdsk is finding?

When I'm at a Vista machine I'll see what Event log entries chkdsk adds, can't find any definite information with a search at the moment...

modsteve60s 19:24 11 Aug 08

It just comes up with a pop up say Check Disk Utility. It has stopped working stopping at 24 per cent of Stage 2 (83330 of 388659 processed).

skidzy 19:51 11 Aug 08

Dont mean to but in here;
Steve do you by any chance have Norton installed ?

If so,disable all Norton features first before running CHKDSK.

modsteve60s 20:03 11 Aug 08

You can 'butt in' whenever you like skidzy, all advice is welcome.
No I don't have Norton, I do have an out of date Bullguard thing which came for a trial period with the computer.

skidzy 22:19 11 Aug 08

Dont know much about Bullguard..well nothing really.

I do know older versions of Norton can stop CHKDSK so im wondering if your Bullguard (if still on the system) is blocking this.

No harm done if you can remove Bullguard or at least stop some of the services if any of them are active.

Brundle may point you in a better direction,but i think that is what i would do for starters...remove Bullguard.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…