start up

gibber2 06:54 AM 16 Dec 12

when I start my omputer I get a black screen with the message "0 seek failure". what do I do to fix this?

Forum Editor 10:40 AM 16 Dec 12

This could be an indication that your computer's hard drive is not set as the first boot device in the BIOS.

Have you recently made any BIOS changes?

If not, are you familiar with the process to make changes in the BIOS? It's a simple enough procedure, but can be a little daunting, the first time you do it. If you need help, post back here, and I (or someone else) will provide step by step instructions.

gibber2 21:45 PM 16 Dec 12

yes i need help setting up

rdave13 09:52 AM 18 Dec 12

TO CHANGE 1ST BOOT DEVICE TO HARD DISK... At Startup press "F2" to enter setup; Arrow down to select "Boot device configuration" - press enter; Arrow down to select "1st boot device" - press enter; Arrow cursor to select "Hard disk" - press enter; Press "F10" to save changes; Select "Y" for yes to confirm saving changes; Press "esc" to go to main menu.

gibber2 17:18 PM 18 Dec 12

Hi thanks for the advice but didn't work as it keeps going back to the same message "0 seek faiure" If I push F1 the computer will finish start

thanks

rdave13 23:26 PM 18 Dec 12

Does a floppy drive show in the bios? If so disable it. If you've changed the cmos battery lately it might have reset the bios and enabled the floppy controller.

gibber2 04:47 AM 19 Dec 12

Where do I find the bios and no I have not changed the battery as the computer is a dell stand alone

Thanks

rdave13 09:59 AM 19 Dec 12

I don't use Dell PCs so found this link which may be useful. It sounds as you missed getting to the bios. It should show up on the post screen, briefly, which key to tap at booting. First, try setting the hard drive as first boot then use the key/keys to save and exit. Hopefully someone with a Dell PC can offer more advice.

More info here.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…