Spyware, Spybot, Vista and all that.

mooly 08:18 31 Mar 08

Hi, Curiosity finally got the better of me, after constantly hearing of the need to run more than one antispyware program I downloaded Spybot S&D to try. A bit of background first, I run FSECURE internet security 2008 and find it truly excellent, I also have Defender turned off as advised by FSECURE, but do occasional full scans with it. Could my system really be clean after nearly 12months with Vista ? I even contacted FSECURE for advise, they assured me all was well, nothing further needed. So to Spybot. It installed without drama and so I did full scan expecting to see dozens of suspicious items. Result, one item flagged (Microsoft.Windows.Security.InternetExplorer), which seemed to be implying an incorrect setting somewhere. I accepted the "fix" and then the problems started, a large immovable white square on the screen. My only option was to restore to a backup, not in itself easy as I had to drag windows around to see behind the mysterious object. So curiosity satisfied I shall continue with FSECURE in the knowledge it is silently doing a first class job.

rawprawn 16:36 31 Mar 08

I can't really imagine why the problem you had occurred. I run Spybot and Norton Security with no problem.(I used to use F Secure and agree it is very good)
I suspect that the fix was to turn Defender on which must not be compatible with F Secure. However I agree with you "If it aint broke don't fix it"

mooly 18:17 31 Mar 08

Hi rawprawn, never thought of that (Defender being off), but that white "hole" in display was really weird. And it would not go away ! I do wonder you know how many "problems" are caused by interaction with 3rd party programs. As you say "If it aint broke don't fix it", never a truer word spoken.

rawprawn 20:34 31 Mar 08

It's my belief that most problems are software related.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…