Speed up Vista startup dramatically on dual core

setecio 19:54 08 Sep 07

Hi

I found this tip on another forum and it speeds up my startup dramatically as Vista defaults to only using 1 core on bootup .... BUT ... a slight problem is that it gives an error and switches to selective start up rather than normal .. you'll probably see wht I mean when you try.

If anyone can solve this please let me know .... hre is the tip :

Go to the start menu find msconfig, if vista type in the search box click continue it might take a while to load up the system config, click on boot tab then click on advanced options and under number of processors select 2 to 8 depending the number of cores you have like a core 2 duo you have 2 so you select 2 then it will ask you to restart after you apply the options what this does is it utlizes all for your cores when it boots you may notice a bit of difference i have a core 2 duo and i saw a diffenence vista defults on 1 core apperently you can do this on xp i dont have a dual core on my xp runner but go ahead and try it.

it tells you it's selective because you changed startup! therefore it aint normal! system config> click 'dont show message again.

mine shows 2 already.
to stop the message, right click icon in toolbar, put mouse pointer over 'run blocked programs', a second line with 'system config' will appear. click that, tick 'dont show again' box. click ok.

setecio 21:34 08 Sep 07

Thanks.

>>>>> mine shows 2 already. <<<<

... does yours show as a normal startup ? Sounds as if it should be normal, thats why it seems odd to me that mine is selective !

I just don't like the sound of that 'selective startup' .... is there anything negative about having a 'selective startup' or is it just a label for when I change something.

if you change or block anything it's a selective start up. i have quite a few blocked programs at start up, web cam programs, msm, steam, defender and many other microsoft bit and pieces. my mptherboard vista drivers were a bit shaky so i set most things up manually, i may have done the 2 processor thing then, to be honest i cant remember, as i was running from my xp pc to this one. i think most people have selective start up, as most don't want everything running on auto start up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…