sp1 do i need it?

dfghjkl 23:09 19 Jun 08

hi,i have just got a new laptop with vista home premium, (celeron 1.73,1gb ram,80 gig hd,)it has sent sp1 through windows update,do i install it ?or are there problems with it.thanks,peter

Pine Man 08:29 20 Jun 08

If it is offered in Windows Update there should be no problem. The major issues were with the 'fits all' version that could be downloaded from Microsofts web site.

octaglider 12:54 20 Jun 08

Definitely install it. Sorts out the previously low data transfer speeds. Make sure you use it via Update and not download the whole SP1 file. It installs pretty easily.

The stability on my Vista PC is exceptionally good.

sunny staines 13:13 20 Jun 08

yes as p.m. says above.

engsurv 14:54 20 Jun 08

octaglider
Why not download the whole SP1 file ?
I did and OK it takes time but it installed OK and I have not had any problems !

Pine Man 15:12 20 Jun 08

I suspect that you are in the minority and very, very lucky indeed!

rdave13 20:17 20 Jun 08

As engsurv, downloaded the standalone SP1 and no problems and burnt to disk. Problems I had was with XP SP3...can't win sometimes :-\

dfghjkl 00:14 22 Jun 08

thanks i will allow it.

BrianW 19:29 27 Jun 08

I finally gave in and installed it (it had been offered via update for a few weeks).

I was pleasantly suprised at the speed with which it installed and set itself up and I have seen definite speed-up during boot and I think it is also faster downloading large files.

Better yet, no stability problems (so far)

FatboySlim71 20:52 27 Jun 08

I installed it..... well basically when it was offered has a Windows Update, it installed quickly and I have had no problems whatsoever with it. I have noticed that the copy transfer speeds have definitely improved.

When I got my new PC a few months back I was 50/50 on whether to get XP or Vista, I eventually went for Vista and I find its an excellent OS and I think it gets a lot of unfair criticism sometimes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos