Sound drivers and Vista

radi8or 11:24 18 May 08

Hi all,

Installed Vista (clean install)on my second computer which was running a Creative SB Audigy2 ZS but just could not get any driver to make it work, loads of crashes, so I bought a Creative X-Fi Extreme Audio card, when I tried to install driver got a message "not compatible with the OS on this machine", tried a few other drivers, no joy more crashes, so I removed card and put it in my XP machine, ran perfect first time, I decided to try the onboard sound, activated it in the BIOS and downloaded the latest driver, ran it and restarted as requested but when I look in device manager it has a yellow thing, clicking on driver tab it says the driver is corrupt or missing "error 39".
Seems the only sound i'll get out of Vista is when it hits the bin.

Can someone help pleeease.

Regards Bob

anskyber 11:40 18 May 08

Creative, from reading a number of posts, have had particular difficulties with Vista drivers, so much so in fact that one enterprising individual wrote his own and published them on the Creative forum site.

Not a great help to you I know but I think this is a driver manufacturer issue not a Vista one.

anskyber 11:41 18 May 08
  radi8or 12:11 18 May 08

Thanks for quick response anskyber, I tried that particular one as well, managed to get it before the guy pulled it from the site, seems Creative threatened to sue him for copywrite infringement, lots of posters on the Creative forum were really uptight about it because he had done something they wouldn't, they vowed never to buy Creative goods again.

Can't understand why the Realtek driver won't work though, installs no problem.

Regards Bob

Zeppelyn 18:04 18 May 08

I bought a X-Fi Extreme Audio to recently and it came with a separate Vista driver CD which works fine for me.

radi8or 20:02 18 May 08

Zeppelyn,

I got the CD with mine too, but that's what gave me the error message "Not compatible with the OS installed on this machine" but worked fine on my XP machine.

Tried a few other vista drivers but after install they all came up with "No hardware recognised, install and try again" made me think that either the card or the software CD was possibly XP specific,
if thats possible.

Managed to get on board sound working, only have 2.1 speakers so will stick with that for time being.

Regards Bob

anskyber 16:03 21 May 08

New thoughts click here

ceew 16:00 13 Oct 08

I have a Packard Bell PC using Vista Home premium with Realtek driver and using Advent speakers.

Initially I only had intermittent sound and now no sound at all. My IT wise son told me of a range of issues with Vista and lack of compatibility with some drivers. Does this sound like a Vista problem and is there a software patch which can resolve the problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now