Software Compatibility

AlanHo 22:11 PM 11 Jul 09

I am planning to re-build my desktop computer in the autumn with a new mobo, CPU , more memory and load it with Windows 7 Home Premium when available.

I currently use the following software on my Vista Ultimate desktop computer...

Acronis True Image 2009
AVG free A/V v8.5
CCleaner
Corel Paint Shop Pro 11
Diskeeper 2009
MS Office 2007
Nero 8
Paragon Partition Manager 8.5
Real Player
Quicktime
Scansoft Omnipage 16
Adobe Reader 9
Plus drivers for....
OKI C5650 Colour Laser printer
Epson Stylus SX200 Printer/Scanner

I have read that anything that runs on Vista will be OK on Windows 7. Can any Windows 7 Beta users advise which of the above programmes will function OK.

GaT7 23:44 PM 11 Jul 09

AlanHo, the best thing to do would be to test out the RC yourself & install your favourite programs/peripherals. click here to download.

If you have a spare hard disk (even 20Gb will do), or a spare partition on your existing hard disk, you can set up a dual-boot with Vista.

Here are a few step-by-step guides: click here / click here / click here. All the best with it :-), G

GaT7 23:47 PM 11 Jul 09

Don't forget, starting 15 July (to 9 Aug), Win7 will be available to pre-order from just £50: click here. G

AlanHo 03:33 AM 12 Jul 09

This may seem a rather dumb question - if I install Windows 7 on a separate partition - I assume I must also install all my software and drivers on the same partition for them to function.

I currently have Vista and all my programmes on one hard drive (C), my docs and data on a second internal hard drive(D) and third internal hard drive (E) used for Acronis back-ups. The E: drive has 250 GB of free space and I assume it could be used for the proposed purpose.

Pine Man 09:41 AM 12 Jul 09

I can confirm the following work on (my set up of) Windows 7 RC:-

Acronis true Image 2009
AVG Free 8.5
MS Offixce 2007
Quicktime
Adobe Reader 9 - but for one of my online banking accounts only version 8 will work for some reason.

Yes you should install all of your software on the same partition/HD as Windows 7. I have Windows 7 on a separate HD which I access through a boot manager at start up so that and Vista are completely separate.

AlanHo 23:13 PM 12 Jul 09

I followed your suggestions and installed the beta version of Windows 7 32 bit Ultimate.

The installation went without any significant problems and I have now installed all my software, printers and scanner. All are working fine.

The only real problem I had was getting my wifi working again with my second XP computer. It was down to me though - I missed some settings.

First impressions are very good

laurie53 08:10 AM 13 Jul 09

The beta version is now starting to reboot (see other thread).

You'd be better off downloading a copy of the Release Candidate while you can.

That will run for a few more months.

AlanHo 09:09 AM 13 Jul 09

Sorry - wrong choice of description - it was the release candidate I downloaded.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites