Slow running Vista Premium

funkey_monkey 17:50 22 Jun 08

I've just got a new laptop - Asus with Vista Premium, running an Intel T5450 1.6GHz dual core with 2GB RAM.

Why is Vista painfully slow? Are there any settings I have to uncheck/check/close/open???

It's running 67 processes with only IE open using between 20 and 40% CPU and 46% of physical memory!!!

What is going on with it?

Is this normal?

Thanks.

anskyber 19:29 22 Jun 08

You have probably got crapware, rubbish which PC makers insist on giving you. Uninstall things you do not need then control the amount of programs which start at boot but do not need to, this way. click here

skidzy 21:46 23 Jun 08

This sounds like the Asus model Ebuyer are selling click here

If im correct,this will take a fair bit of tinkering to get it up and running smoothly.
I bought this model a couple of weeks ago,and needs cleaning up and plenty of the startup programs reduced not to mention one or services stopped.

It is bloated as mentioned by anskyber and again needs cleaning up.

One big advantage is;if you have the model im linking to,Vista's SP1 update is fully compatible and makes a big difference.

chub_tor 22:26 23 Jun 08

Did it come with Norton/symantec installed? This is often found to be the cause of major slowdowns on new machines. Uninstall it with this tool click here and replace it with either Avast click here or AVG click here

funkey_monkey 13:55 29 Jun 08

Anskeyber - that is what I was thinking - thanks for the link.

Skidzy - correct that is exactly the machine which I have.

How do I know if SP1 has been uninstalled? When I first connected tot he 'net it took about 3hrs to download updates (about 33 updates).

There doesn't seem to be any Norton/Symantec installed. There is a load of Nero rubbish instead though, but that has nothing to doing with protection.

Jim_F 17:02 29 Jun 08

Just right click on Computer and select properties - if SP1 has been imstalled it will tell you.

It looks like you get the full version of Nero 7 which is quite good - if you ever want to mix or edit surround sound it has some useful tools as well as CD/DVD burning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos