sleep

hi now that sleep is working well, i am often using it. there are a few points i am unsure about, my case fans are psu controlled, so i guess they never stop, this got me thinking:
1) what damage would a power cut (or lack of meter credit) do to the drives (1 raptor 2 7200rpms) all ticked for advanced performance in device manager.
2) a power surge?
3) i have heard ram likes to be closes down fully every now and then, is this true?
4) the network connections close, so i get critical threatsense unable to connect in nod's log (this is as the system is waking from sleep, im guessing.
sleep is set by default, is it safe or is it best to change the start button back to shut down and forget/ disable it?
any thoughts? thanks.

anskyber 10:39 27 Apr 08

I have often suffered from power interruptions here in darkest Cumbria. I found that my machine restarted OK on all occasions, albeit sometimes following a black screen and selecting restart normally.

Until,
I had three cuts (just a second each) in rapid fire. It took me more than an hour to get my machine working again and my RAID 1 configuration repaired.

I now have a UPS and I am no longer affected by power cuts to my machine.

hi, i really should get that, it's a battery reserve supply? i think it would be very easy to get into the habit of just walking away form the pc and turning it back on with a mouse movement only to one day return from work to find the dvd lights flashing and all of a sudden the pc doesnt want to wake up.
thanks for the reply.

anskyber 10:56 27 Apr 08

I have one of these. click here

There are a number out there on the market from different manufacturers of varying costs and power output. It's a matter of how you see your needs.

Mine includes software which shuts the PC down before the battery runs out if I am not around. I decided not to install it because I am at home mostly and turn my PC off if I am out.

didnt realise they had a connected equipment warranty, i live in the heart of birmingham so when we get cuts the power is usually straight back on again, thanks for the advise i think for the peace of mind i will get myself one.
thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009