Skype microphone muted

Red Ed 09:08 27 Apr 07

When making a skype call my microphone is muted - and there appears to be no way of un-muting it. Does anyone know how to do this in Vista?

Thanks!

anskyber 09:12 27 Apr 07

Have you tried in Skype first,

Tools, options, Sound devices and activated the microphone from there?

anskyber 09:15 27 Apr 07

If that is OK, in Vista go to Control Panel,Hardware and Sound, Sound, choose recording tab and select your microphone.

Red Ed 10:46 27 Apr 07

Thanks - I have already tried both those ideas without any success although in the Control Panel it says my microphone is working!

I have also just run a test with the Sound Recorder but nothing was captured.

I was reading some other comments on the web about buying a microphone that is specifically Vista compatible....??

anskyber 11:26 27 Apr 07

Not sure about that. I use a Logitech desktop mic and it worked fine as a simple plug and play device following my Vista upgrade install.

I assume your audio is working OK otherwise?

anskyber 12:11 27 Apr 07

As a futher thought have you looked in device manager to see if there are issues?

Red Ed 16:03 27 Apr 07

All other audio is fine and there are no device manager issues that I can see.

I have a new Dell Inspiron laptop pre-installed with Vista Business. But it does not like my old mic nor the new headset I bought last week!

If a Logitech desktop mic works for you I will go out and get one.

Cheers Ed

anskyber 16:09 27 Apr 07

This is the one I have click here but I see from ther web site they do another for half the price.

Quiet Life 00:33 03 May 07

Skype test call did not hear my microphone until I turned up the boost.
Control Panel>Sound>Rightclickon microphone>properties>Levels>increase mic.boost
My mic. is sixyears old and works fine now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced