Side By Side Configuration Error when Opening Word 2007

Dr.Llama 07:03 24 Jul 14
Answered

I have encountered a very stressful problem, whenever I attempt to open Word (2007), or Excel I get an error message which says:

"The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail."

I have been combing forums for the past 12 hours and have attempted several suggested fixes, to no avail. Such as those suggested:

click here attempted system restore was not successful (the restore actually failed and the restore point was not far enough in the past to pre-date the problem).

I attempted to run an sfc scan was suggested in one form (to another user), but this failed at ~70%.

Any help would be much appreciated as this has consumed my entire day!

Thank you in advance.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/officeversionother-officeinstall/word-2007-will-not-open-it-says-the-side-by-side/5cf5bc15-8ab8-470b-bb99-df26bade6e4f

An

BRYNIT 13:01 24 Jul 14
Answer

Don't know if this will help CLICK HERE

Dr.Llama 17:53 24 Jul 14

[MechKB 2] Thank you both for the prompt replies. I am using Vista. I am in the process of re-installing Office 2007, however the first attempt I made at doing this was unsuccessful for some unknown reason. Giving it a second go now, which just failed while I was typing this, stating:

"Microsoft Enterprise 2007 uninstall did not complete successfully"

In case this helps, Even Viewer states the following:

"MMC could not create the snap-in. The Snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name: Event Viewer CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-be05-7a4cbb7cb510}"

BRYNIT

I'm going to try this out next and see how it works. Thank you for the recomendation.

Dr.Llama 18:34 24 Jul 14

BRTNIT,

I was hesitant to mess about with registry keys but after trying everything else to no avail I followed the instructions you posted and it worked so far as I can tell perfectly! Thank you both so much for the help, I was seriously at the end of my tether and was about to go buy a new computer!

Waves of positive vibes and thanks to you!

Dr. Llama!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now