Shortcut key(s) for shutting down Vista?

sheila.weston 22:27 PM 13 May 09

Is there a way that I can shut down Vista on my laptop, using one of the function keys? I thought that there was, but can't find it in the help files.

tullie 22:52 PM 13 May 09

Sorry dont know,but it wouldent be any quicker than the normal method would it?

Peter 00:31 AM 14 May 09

My netbook, which is running Windows XP, has the Fn + F12 function to send the netbook into sleep mode. Remember that you need to combine the Fn key with a function key (F1 - F12) to access the extra functions.

Another way is to put a shortcut on the desktop. I've got two, one for Windows Shutdown and one for Windows Restart. If this idea is of interest to you reply to this thread and I will provide instructions. I'll have to check how it's done on my wife's Vista laptop.

canarieslover 11:58 AM 14 May 09

For me the standard Alt F4 then Enter does the trick.

mooly 12:28 PM 14 May 09

You can configure the main power button to do that in "power plans"... configure to do just what you want, shutdown, hibernate or sleep.

sheila.weston 20:47 PM 02 Jul 09

Many thanks, all. Sorry for late response - I didn't get a reminder/notification by email. I have found that pressing the FN key brings up a reminder of what all the F keys do. It is Fn + F3 for sleep and F4 for hibernate.

Yes please, Peter, if you could let me know how to make a shortcut on the desktop, I would be grateful.

I have configured the Power Plan, but it doesn't seem to work as far as the button is concerned - will try again.

chub_tor 21:03 PM 02 Jul 09

Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Power Options, Choose what the power button does (on the left hand side), When I press the Power Button, select ShutDown for Battery and Plugged In, Save and Close.

Peter 23:05 PM 02 Jul 09

The desktop shortcuts for Windows Restart and Windows Shutdown are shown below. To make things easier for you I will email you with these shortcuts as attachments.

Windows Shutdown - C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /c "Windows is shutting down - Goodbye." /t 002

Windows Restart - C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /r /c "Windows is restarting - see you again soon." /t 002

The final digit - 002 - determines how long the Restart or Shutdown message stays on-screen before the appropriate action takes place.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to watch Adobe Max 2015: See Adobe unveil new Creative Cloud features for Photoshop,…

Live Photo tips: How to take Live Photos on the iPhone 6s, how to view, share, edit and find Live…