shared file needs permission

sheila.weston 10:48 AM 23 Feb 09

I am trying to tidy up my shared documents folder but am told that I 'need permission' to move a file into another folder. There is a similar problem at click here and it was resolved by giving the files passwords. Isn't there *any* way that I can resolve this problem without resorting to passwords?

I find that I can move the file in the main XP machine, but it doesn't show in the vista laptop, which is odd.

Thanks for any help.

BurrWalnut 13:45 PM 23 Feb 09

You could take ‘ownership’:
Right-click the folder, select Properties > Security Tab > Advanced at the bottom > Owner Tab > Edit > Highlight your username and put a tick in ‘Replace owner on sub containers…’ and Apply > OK. Click Yes when you receive the Security pop-up window then click OK to the Close/Reopen message. Make a note of the previous owner in case you want to change it back.

Now go back to the Properties > Security Tab. Click Edit > Add. Type in your User Account Name in the box under Enter the objects name to select. Click on Check Names > OK. Click on your User Account Name to highlight it. Check the box for Full Control > Apply and OK etc.

sheila.weston 22:33 PM 23 Feb 09

Many thanks.

I have got up to the owner tab>edit and am not sure what to do then. The box says 'change owner to Sheila-laptop' which I *could* elect, but I really want something like 'all users'. I have tried SHEILA-LAPTOP (as it already has SHEILA-DESKTOP and IE froze. Selecting 'locations' brought up SHEILA-DESKTOP' and 'Check names' brought up nothing.

I then tried again and got to the permissions page, but don't know what to put. Is there any way of browsing to the location so that I know what user or group to add?

BurrWalnut 08:24 AM 24 Feb 09

Type Everyone.

sheila.weston 10:13 AM 02 Mar 09

Sorry for delay in reply - I got side-tracked. Yes, that works!. Very many thanks.

BurrWalnut 18:08 PM 02 Mar 09

I'm glad it worked, thank you for posting back.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Toshiba dynaPad release date, price and specs: Another Surface Pro 4 rival with Windows 10

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Google Maps for web gets a Material Design-inspired makeover

New Apple TV 2015 release date and UK price: buy from Apple in late October, in store in November