Security dialogue failure

S5W 19:55 07 Apr 08

Vista Home Premium SP1. After each boot my computer freezes, pressing any key or combination of keys does not free it, the screen becomes misty. After about ten minutes the screen goes black and the message "Logon process has failed to create the security options dialogue" appears, clicking on this returns the comp. to the misty screen, switching off the power is the only way to shut down. I have searched many sites and forums to try and resolve the problem which seems to be fairly widespread but so far I have been unable to find an answer. Can anyone throw light on this; is it likely to be hard or software instigated?

anskyber 21:08 07 Apr 08

Is this since SP1 or before?

S5W 18:26 08 Apr 08

Since. Sorry for the delay I'm a bit tied up at the moment.
I have found that if I start up from the crash recovery screen all is well, I have also done a chkdsk and bad sector recovery which proved to be clean.

Lee.C 15:04 09 Apr 08

This error comes up a few times when searching Google/Yahoo but it's not clear what's doing it.

First suggestion......

When/if you can actually get into the system, go into the start menu and type 'event' into the search bar.
Open up 'Event Viewer' and in the top left-corner click on 'custom views' and then 'administrative events'.
You should now see a long list. Look for an entry relating to the time you had a log-in freeze. It might shed some light on what's doing it.

Second suggestion (a bit more long-winded).....

Have you tried starting the pc in safe mode? If it doesn't do it there it may be one of the startup programs/services causing the problem.

If you go into the start menu and type in msconfig it should let you access the utility. From there you can disable all the items in the 'startup' and 'services' tab.
If it now boots up normally, go back to msconfig and reselect one item at a time until you find the culprit.

S5W 18:40 09 Apr 08

Lee.C
Thank you for your suggestions, I have been through Event Viewer a couple of times and have found nothing untoward. Starting in safe mode is OK but it freezes as soon as I click on the start menu. I shall continue to chase this defect as and when I have the time and then post what I find just in case anyone else is plagued by it. The fact that it starts OK direct from the crash recovery screen (the one that gives a choice of starts from Safe to Normal) must tell me something but as yet I don't know what.

S5W 19:10 13 Apr 08

This is something to do with IE7 and Vista SP1; uninstall either one and the all is well but with both loaded everything freezes. I can live without IE7 and that is my short term fix. From various correspondences in other forums I appear not to be alone.

anskyber 19:25 13 Apr 08

Try IE7, but tools, internet options, advanced tab and choose reset.

S5W 19:11 28 May 08

Problem fixed.
Caused by Spyware Doctor initiating at the same time as Windows startup, this was causing the number of memory hard faults to increase from the normal two or three up to 2700 th 3700. I don't know why, I have plenty of RAM. The problem only came to light after I downloaded SP1. Funny old Microsoft.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5