Screen Freezing intermittently but cursor moves

Liz Galloway 11:39 13 Mar 14

I have a Dell Inspiron 3520 which is just one year old and only just out of warranty. The screen has started freezing intermittently but the cursor is still able to move. I have run diagnostic checks and everything passes. I think it started just after I upgraded to Windows 8.1 which doesn't seem to like working with Google Chrome and at first I thought that was the issue but it still freezes with Internet Explorer. Looked at loads of info online but nothing seems relevant or fixes it. Bought a new optical mouse as I even thought the mouse was the problem but it is still the same issue. Can anyone help me please.

rdave13 13:28 13 Mar 14

Could be a bad driver from Windows update. Try running in safe mode for a while. Easiest way to get to it ( if you've not enabled F8) is press the SHIFT key and click on any power icon, select 'restart' still pressing the Shift key. You should then get the Advanced Option blue screen. Select Troubleshoot - advanced options - Start-up settings - restart - from the list select safe mode with networking. It should go online if not using an adapter. See if it runs ok. If it does check windows update and see if the graphics driver has been updated. My guess is it could be that.

imendpc 16:24 16 Mar 14

On top of what "rdave13" say, as running in safe mode without issue, could indicate driver is the cause. You can also start up task manager "ctrl" + Alt+del to see which process, not in Windows Safe Mode, is running with high CPU. High CPU utilisation does cause the Windows to appear to freeze or slow down drastically. Kill off such high CPU processes to see if speed improves. Rogue drivers as stated by "rdave13" can cause such problems. Good luck and see how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac